No overclock with external hard disk plugged in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uberg

Baseband Member
When I turn my computer on, my overclocking settings get reset and the computer restarts, if my external hard disk is plugged in. Why is this? The reseting occurs about 5 seconds after turning the computer on. It is absolutely fine if my hard disk is not plugged in.

My processor is an e6320
My hard disk is a Western Digital My book (250gb)

It's fine if i do that. It only matters if the hard disk is plugged in before the windows loading screen appears.

you may be over taxing your psu. whats the wattage? either that or your pc is trying to boot the external hard drive, finds that it cant boot it and reboots the system.

I have a theory. Its probably wrong, but I'll throw it out there.

The jumpers for an HD with a slave are different than the jumpers for an HD without a slave. My guess is that the External is correctly set as the slave, but the internal is not set to have a slave, and so the pc doesn't know there is an alternate hard drive, and so is booting from the external first.

Just a theory, but might be worth trying since it would take about half a second to change the HD jumpers on the internal.

The internal should be set to master or cable select.

what i think is that your bios is set to boot usb before internal hd. jsut go in and change the boot order and you should be fine.

Well, it's half fixed now.

I turned off something like "Legacy USB storage" in the BIOS, now it can overclock without reseting, but it's impossible to load up the Windows log on screen if the hard disk is plugged in.

Thanks for the help, but any more ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom