I need advice building a 5-6k USD 'puter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just want to say thanks again for the help, I am now trying to get the best prices (getting tiger direct and NCIX to fight it out for my business) I think I am going to go with th QX6850 since the price drop.

and are you guys suggesting not to get an ultra 1k watt power supply?

Take a look at my power supply guide linked in my signature. You can get a pretty good idea of the brands. Id say at least a 650 Watt Model.
Don't forget a large case with sufficent cooling & Heatsink.
Heatsinks: But not limited to:
Sycthe Mine
Sycht Infinity
Ultra 120
XP 90
Many many others.

I know everything is decided, but I went ahead and built a "super computer" for fun, which is within this budget =).

(2x) ASUS 18X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe and 14X DVD-RAM Write Black SATA Model DRW-1814BLT - Retail

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

(2x) Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFD 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

SAMSUNG 245BW Black High Glossy 24" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor with Height Adjustment - Retail

(2x) XFX PVT80USHE9 GeForce 8800Ultra 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW-SR EPS12V 1000W Continuous @ 50°C Power Supply - Retail

(2x) Patriot 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model PDC32G1333LLK - Retail

ASUS P5K3 DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850 Kentsfield 3.0GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80562QX6850 - Retail

ZALMAN Reserator XT SL Silver Reserator (Reservoir+Radiator+Water Pump) Water Cooling System - Retail

Total w/ Tax & Shipping: $6063.54 @NewEgg

lol

Take a look at my power supply guide linked in my signature. You can get a pretty good idea of the brands. Id say at least a 650 Watt Model.
Don't forget a large case with sufficent cooling & Heatsink.
Heatsinks: But not limited to:
Sycthe Mine
Sycht Infinity
Ultra 120
XP 90
Many many others.

thats true.. but that may send him in the wrong idea... and he may find a "good" case and PSU combo that is high wattage and say its good when we argue its most definitely crap....

PSU Wattage isn't everything... as Ste and Sora and b1gapl taught me when i was new here... the dual or single 12v amperage is what counts in a PSU... i mean you don't wanna fry your 6k system... or do you? LOL

as for the heatsinks... Ste is right on the money.. those are great... but also add Tuniq Tower 120, maybe the forum should do a Heatsink Guide?

Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time someone actually used my guide without me pointing them to it...

:(

well.. i have pointed out to it many times... but most of the newbies just rush for the Post to get their question out.. so they wouldn't bother to look at other stuff and just worry about themselves... so its cool... but this only happened because of that 1 Tutorial List.. if it was the way it was b4 it'd be crowded.. but ppl would take the time to look at it

I would not recommend an XP 90 with a q6600 if you're interested in cooling it decently and overclocking. Just saying. :\

And to Sora at the beginning of this thread.

3DMark06 scores do not mean anything, really. In most games, the HD2900XT performs worse than both the 8800gtx and the Ultra, both in single and dual configurations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom