processor at half speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jemmell

Solid State Member
About a year ago I had a friend of mine build a computer for me, but unfortunately this "friend" wasnt nearly as knowledgeable about building computers as he made himself out to be. After everything was assembled, he was having trouble getting the computer to start up, but after messing around with it he finally got it to turn on, but the processor was only running at 1.26Ghz, and I have an Athlon XP 2600+ 333Mhz. He had to leave before he worked out the problem, and essentially abandoned me later on when I asked for help. A year later, I am fed up with my computer only running at half speed and am finally trying to do something about it. I figured it had something to do with the jumpers, but he insisted that they were fine. I thought he mumbled something about the power supply possibly not being strong enough, but I dont know if that has anything to do with it. Can anyone help me get my processor to run at normal speed? The manual for the motherboard hasnt been very helpful and im sick and tired of having a slow computer. I have a:

Asus A7N8X-X motherboard
AMD Athlon XP 2600+ @ 333Mhz cpu
Radeon 9200 8xAGP 128MB graphics card

I may be wrong but I do not think AMD's run at the speed of the model number listed. Meaning a 2600+ does not mean its 2.6 ghz. And a 3000+ does not mean its 3 ghz. I do not know what the speed the 2600+ is suppost to run at, but I know for a fact a 3000+ is suppost to run at around 2 ghz. I think that number attached to an amd is just for marketing purposes so people can compare to a Pentium, I may be wrong about that as well. Otherwise if amd advertised by mhz, people would think the penitum is far ahead of amd which is not true at all.

the 2600+ at 333fsb runs at 2.083.

there might be a switch on your motherboard or a setting in the bios where you can bump up the fsb to 166/200|333/400 speeds. read your mobo manual about setting the fsb setting.

thanks for the replies, I didnt know that the athlon 2600+ ran at about 2Ghz, I was under the impression that it ran around 2.54 or so. I thought I checked the jumper for the fsb and it was ok, but I will double check them and post again

Ive got 512 Mb Ram, I dont think thats whats limiting me, but you all would know better than me. Im checking the jumpers now, will post shortly

Yea the fsb jumper is set to 400/333/266, so I dont think that is the problem, Im going to take a look at the BIOS and see if I can figure anything out. Anyone else have any more ideas?

well let us know what your BIOS says, I am just gonna throw this out there, but I am thinking that maybe your CPU voltage is to low(I have no idea if that is even possible just guessing, not educated) and finally maybe your processor is just faulty and it is time for a new one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom