My HP computer is SLOW

Status
Not open for further replies.

dykzeulb

In Runtime
I just recently got a cheap (400.00) HP computer from WAL-MART that has Windows Xp home edition on it and I have a few songs and have kazzaa and have a cable mdem on it which is connected all day.....This computer should be faster right? It takes 4-ever to load stuff and I think there maybe some spyware or something on it....some help :(

Make sure and download the newest updates before running the scan. Be prepared to run into some issues with Kazaa.

adaware is your best bet...also look for 180search stuff which is eally bad spyware...and web ebates

if you must use a P2P program, stray away from Kazaa. that thing causes all kinds of havoc on a computer. it's a terrible program and i've seen it do some damage on quite a few computers as far as the computer running efficiently! if i were you, definitely check for viruses/spyware and get rid of Kazaa.

Ya know i gotta admit whenever i read threads like this, it's sort of funny to see how people (who might know a little or a lot about computers) jump the gun and just automatically ASSUME the PC is bogged with spyware wihtout even first asking the basic diagnostic questions.

<rant>
Before jumping to conclusions and suggesting spyware removal tools, how about asking some basic questions? like how much RAM is installed..... is the HDD defragged on a regular basis.... how about running msconfig and seeing which applications are trigged to load up on boot up (thus tying up resources)... etc, etc.

People, do a little homework on PCs first before just blurting out answers that provide little value for users needing assistance. Before i became knowledgeable about PCs, i used to keep my mouth shut on forums whenever i didn't have an exact answer. I was a noob and the only way I could learn was by reading books, forums, and journals. Hell i'm still a n00b when compared to some of the Mods here... but if i feel that i'm not knowledgable about a certain topic, i'll sit back and read and try to actually learn something new rather than blurting out some crap that might have no relevance to the question asked.

Yeah i know i'ts a free country and you can post whatever you want. I'm just saying dont' just throw sh*t up in the air and hope it sticks. There's a certain protocol to follow.
</rant>

Lone Wolf said:
Ya know i gotta admit whenever i read threads like this, it's sort of funny to see how people (who might know a little or a lot about computers) jump the gun and just automatically ASSUME the PC is bogged with spyware wihtout even first asking the basic diagnostic questions.

<rant>
Before jumping to conclusions and suggesting spyware removal tools, how about asking some basic questions? like how much RAM is installed..... is the HDD defragged on a regular basis.... how about running msconfig and seeing which applications are trigged to load up on boot up (thus tying up resources)... etc, etc.

People, do a little homework on PCs first before just blurting out answers that provide little value for users needing assistance. Before i became knowledgeable about PCs, i used to keep my mouth shut on forums whenever i didn't have an exact answer. I was a noob and the only way I could learn was by reading books, forums, and journals. Hell i'm still a n00b when compared to some of the Mods here... but if i feel that i'm not knowledgable about a certain topic, i'll sit back and read and try to actually learn something new rather than blurting out some crap that might have no relevance to the question asked.

Yeah i know i'ts a free country and you can post whatever you want. I'm just saying dont' just throw sh*t up in the air and hope it sticks. There's a certain protocol to follow.
</rant>

True statement. People souldn't just assume this is a spyware problem just because the PC runs slow. I wouldn't rule spyware out, but I just wouldn't jump to that conclusion. Dykzeilb, what did you expect to get from HP for only $400 anyway? I have had experience with HP and even mid-range ones are worlds slower than comparable home-built ones. For instance, my $1000 HP with an Athlon 2600+ came with PC2100 memory and its hard drive was only 5400RPM with a 2MB buffer, which slows things down tremendouly. Plus, all the ads and promotions that HP preloads just eat up system resources. If I were you, I would return that HP PC and build my own. You could build something that is sooooo much better for only $500.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom