Problem with MB and/or RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vpx_rodder

Baseband Member
Ok, so I'm building a PC.... which I have done about 5 times before.

The motherboard is a Intel BOXDG965WHMKR LGA 775 Intel G965.
(Newegg.com - Intel BOXDG965WHMKR LGA 775 Intel G965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail)

The RAM is G.SKILL 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800.
(Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory - Retail)

Now, if you look at the specs, for whatever reason, the MB is particularly picky about the RAM you can put in it. It has to be 1.8V and have a timing of either 4-4-4 or 5-5-5. Ok, so I bought that RAM thinking I was ok, but I am having problems.

It says that it is Dual-Channel enabled, but that doesn't mean I HAVE to use it right? I only have 1 stick.... so I can't.

The problem is I get a 1 beep at post, which means DRAM refresh failure.

I get no video up on the screen whatsoever.

Am I just totally screwed, or what steps can I take to remedy this?

Thanks guys, in advance.

Try reseating the RAM in the other slots. Or use memtest, to see if the memory is defective.

Try reseating the RAM in the other slots. Or use memtest, to see if the memory is defective.

I have tried the memory in all 4 slots. I should be able to use only 1 stick of ram in it, right?

I also put that stick into another PC I have, and it worked absolutely fine.

:(

It might be the motherboard. To make sure, try another stick from another computer.

I've tried that too, but i dont have any that meet the 4-4-4 or 5-5-5 timings.

The weird thing is, i get 1 beep with or without RAM in it..... shouldnt i get 2 different post beeps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom