New Cooler for 8800GTX. Very high clocks and very low temps! (Over 13.1k in 3DM06!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New Cooler for 8800GTX. Very high clocks and very low temps! (Over 13.1k in 3DM06

That's the "HSI Chip". Not sure what it does, but I know it generates a fair amount of heat to require AS5 and it's own mini heat synk.

My assumption is that it controls the I/O of the board to the screen, it should also be some sort of SLI controller? Not sure.. And NOS, my post before this one addresses the SLI and size issue.

ah, thanks for that! i didnt get to read that cuz i was at work and needed to rush a post!!! thanks!! i'll definitely consider this when i buy a new gpu

Re: New Cooler for 8800GTX. Very high clocks and very low temps! (Over 13.1k in 3DM06

So how well are the little mini heatsinks holding up. From the reviews ive heard that they are a pita and like to come loose. Still looking into this cooler as i might upgrade to a gtx when my stepup gets closer to the end.

So how well are the little mini heatsinks holding up. From the reviews ive heard that they are a pita and like to come loose. Still looking into this cooler as i might upgrade to a gtx when my stepup gets closer to the end.

The only problem people were having is the results of an uncured thermal interface pad. Once they're cured, they're strong. But installing the card and trying not to knock one of those off is definetly a pain.

A trick? Get a whole bunch of 9v batteries and touch both contacts to that ram sink. That will heat it up enough to somewhat cure the pads. It works better when you use two 9v batteries rigged together. Obviously this will ruin the batteries after a few runs, so get a couple. This won't harm the card at all as long as you don't touch the card with the batters :p

And NOS, no prob man. Do be warned though, you won't have Any open PCI slots with an SLI set up lol. I don't use any of mine so it's no biggie.. but just be warned :p

Good to know. Bioshock actually managed to heat my gts up to 75 while being overclocked.

The only problem people were having is the results of an uncured thermal interface pad. Once they're cured, they're strong. But installing the card and trying not to knock one of those off is definetly a pain.

A trick? Get a whole bunch of 9v batteries and touch both contacts to that ram sink. That will heat it up enough to somewhat cure the pads. It works better when you use two 9v batteries rigged together. Obviously this will ruin the batteries after a few runs, so get a couple. This won't harm the card at all as long as you don't touch the card with the batters :p

And NOS, no prob man. Do be warned though, you won't have Any open PCI slots with an SLI set up lol. I don't use any of mine so it's no biggie.. but just be warned :p

ah... thats no good.. i need one for the x-fi dammit

That's a sound card, isn't it? If it's PCIe x1 format, then it will work, depending on where the mobo puts it. My mobo's sound card uses a PCI x1 slot that's flipped around, and it's north of the 8800 so it would work for me.. But yeah, Mine right now with it pointed down like that only leaves room for one slot :( SLI will for sure leave 0.

What is a safe load and Idle temp for a gpu?

Generally 30-50C is good for idle, and 60-80C for load.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom