Building a computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

CypriotPryde

Solid State Member
Hey. I'm goin to college next year for computer science, so I want a really nice computer. I'm not an extreme techie or anything (i'm more into programming) but I'm not a complete noob when it comes to hardware.

First off, does anyone here have a suggestion on what computer/parts i should get, like maybe a site with a computer building tutorial. I wanna build this computer on my own. This computer is gonna be used for gaming, programming, creating and compiling maps and games, and a whole other array of stuff, so it's gotta be really powerful. My budget is about $2000. Anyone have any suggestions?

Also, I can't decide on whether to get a 32-bit or a 64-bit processor. The thing is... I'm a real Intel guy. I used to have an AMD and I hated it. But Intel hasn't come out with a 64-bit processor yet. The reason I'm saying this is that when Longhorn comes out, I want to have a 64-bit computer so I can get it right away. I'm thinking of getting a cheap Pentium for now, until Intel comes out with a 64-bit, which should probably be before Longhorn comes out. I guess the thing I'm tryin to find out here is, when are Longhorn and Intel's 64bit coming out. Anyone have any idea?

I have to decide on the parts, order them, wait for them to be delivered, build the computer, and install all my software and transfer files from my old computer in about a month (i'm leaving for college August 9th, but I want to have this dones by around the 5th) So I gotta do everything pretty fast.

AMD is great, they are so much better than they used to be. My computer, when you can see in my sig, is great, and can play games like FarCry flawlessly. I paid around $2000 for it ($1975 to be exact).

Definatly!...! I used to use Intel my whole life until a couple weeks ago. I bought an AMD64, and let's just say... I am never going to go back to Intel!

Well, Intel probably won't have 64 bit processors out this year.The lga 775 processors have 64 bit capability it's just disabled. One reason to get an AMD 64 is that the 64 bit version of Windows XP will be released in the near future and Intel probably won't have 64 bit processors when it does come out. If Windows XP 64 bit does get a significant amount of sales then Intel may release a 64 bit processor early.

Longhorn will come out in 2005 or 2006 .

If you got a cheap Pentium 4 now then when 64 bit comes out you will have to change everything in your system because there are no cheap socket 775 cpus . The best deal would be to get an AMD socket 939 cpu or a dual socket 940 Opteron system since your budget is $2000, so you can get Windows XP 64 bit edition then upgrade to Longhorn when it comes out. Athlon 64 will be on socket 939 for several years as well as Opteron on socket 940 and this will ensure future upgradability.

Intel's 64 processors although not out yet...are so...bad...Go for AMD if you plan on doing some serious gaming. For Video editing, application processing stuff, go Intel.

yeah I think that you should go AMD socket 940 for the Opteron or the 939 the newer 64bit processor's cuz it will be easy to upgrade and that will make it easier for you to go to the 64bit OS's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom