DirectX 10 that big a deal right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. LL

In Runtime
Do you think DX10 is really that needed at this time? I am running XP but I will eventually go to Vista in the next year or and I don't really want to have to buy a new video card next year so am I better off getting a DX10 card even if it is slower or just get a good DX9 card that runs faster?

I am thinking about a ATI 1950PRO or a 7900GS on the DX9 side or a Nvidia 8600 for DX10, the 8600 is slower but it can use DX10. I would really like to get a 8800 but I just can't pay $260-$300 for a video card right now.

Thoughts....?

actually, if you're really interested in DX10, the absolute minimum is an 8600GTS which'll about run DX10 games in DX10 mode like a x1950pro or 7900gs would run a dx10 game in dx9 mode. But for cost/performance, stick to high-end DX9 for now, it's astronomically cheaper

never ever ever recommend a 8600gt they are crud and your wrong the entry level is a 8500 but they are also pointless cards

don't be so rash, he didn't recommend an 8600gt... he said gts, those cards are actually quite good and overclock well, for the price to performance ratio it is great since it has DX10 support, granted its not as good as the 8800GTS, but its still decent unlike the other cards (8500, 8600gt)

never ever ever recommend a 8600gt they are crud and your wrong the entry level is a 8500 but they are also pointless cards
Are you kidding me..? 8600GT can handle many games on mid ranged settings. It would be fine for a casual gamer. They are not power consuming, they fit in small form factor cases, they have full hardware based h.264 decoding, they don't run very hot, thus allowing them to have silent configurations.. they'd do great in a media computer. Nobody is buying an 8600GT for a high end gaming computer, and it makes sense, since it's price is pretty low.

I'm talking about the 8600GT, not GTS. But even then, the GTS is a kickass card too.

Use your brain once in a while.

I am actually a fan of the 2600PRO. It can be had for some really good prices and is a capable little card. If ur looking for a good priced, well performing DX9 card, look no further than the X1950PRO.

Are you kidding me..? 8600GT can handle many games on mid ranged settings. It would be fine for a casual gamer. They are not power consuming, they fit in small form factor cases, they have full hardware based h.264 decoding, they don't run very hot, thus allowing them to have silent configurations.. they'd do great in a media computer. Nobody is buying an 8600GT for a high end gaming computer, and it makes sense, since it's price is pretty low.

I'm talking about the 8600GT, not GTS. But even then, the GTS is a kickass card too.

Use your brain once in a while.

I agree with you, but still considering that the price is so high when you can get a GTS or 7900gs for around the same, its ridiculous to take a performance hit just for dx10 since you can't play dx10 games at their full capacity anyways

also, the GT's don't have HDCP so you can't watch HD video

Plain and simple: Don't look at the DX10 cards as DX10 cards. Just look at the performance for their price. They are an amazing deal.

The best cards have DX10... but not all DX10 cards are the best...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom