OC 3600+ answer needed fast

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfenwick

Fully Optimized
Hey guys, have my brother here and we are OCing his Brisbane on the stock cooler, just wondering where we should be maxing out.

Right now temps are around 49C at load and 36C at idle, 1.35v, 2.5ghz. I've redone the paste but can't seem to get much more out of it...I thought it would go higher, even if it was on stock cooling.

Anyways, he's leaving in the early AM so I need an answer soon....

mobo: 590 SLI
cpu: C2D 3600+ Brisbane

At above settings get an error in orthos at 2.5 and get those high temps which is limiting the OC.

Thanks for the help,

Additional info:

Ram: G.Skill F2 6400CL
DDR2 @ 533
Timings: 5-5-5-15 T1

Ht multiplyer: 3x

When we hit the first error at 2.5ghz and 1.35v i upped the voltage to 1.375 and got the error in orthos again without yet increasing the fsb, at around the same 4 minute mark....making me think it's a ram issue? Should i loosen the timings or will that do anything? Just wondering if this is the limit with stock cooling. Temps seem to be hovering around 50c at load.

just underclock your ram totally, don't worry about hte timings, just set it to 400 mhz, if it works then, it was the ram

otherwise, you have to keep raising the voltage, not all cores are meant to be overclocked

49C is a great temperature... you can probably go around 60-70 without killing it

it just seems odd...i'm running mine at 1.5v and getting 3.0ghz out of the same CPU right next to it and I'm running at the same,if not lower temperatures. Does the aftermarket cooling I have...a whopping $25 upgrade ACF64 pro, make that much of a difference?

We have the same mobo and cpu, he has g.skill ram and I have ballistix....and right now my RAM is running tighter and higher.

Anyways, I'll drop the RAM to 400 and up all the timings a notch to see if it makes a difference, at this point I didn't think the ram, at those settings would get in the way.

Thanks....i'll be back in a sec, we have a few hours before he leaves and I'd like to up this performance a lot more, at this point his 3DMark06 score is pathetic, under 2000. he has a 6600gt for a gpu.

are you sure your's is brisbane too?

and yes, aftermarket coolers even the cheaper ones make a huge difference

100% sure, actually bought this second 3600+ for me by acciden....was back ordered for about 2 months so went and got it somewhere else and then forgot to cancel the original order so it came in about 2 weeks ago after my comp had been up and running for about 2 weeks....that was a surprise, but worked out since my brother needed a cheapo build as well.

Anyways, changed the RAM to 400 and timings to 6-6-6-16 and it wouldn't work, got the beep errors and then it reset itself to the previous settings before booting up.

Therefore, still at 1.35v, 2.5ghz and 50C

DDR2 @ 533
Timings: 5-5-5-15 T2
Ht multiplier: 3x

Any more suggestions?

cpu core: 270 fsb @ 1.392 V
core multiplier: 9.5x
htt link: 3x
ram: 5-5-5-15 trc 20, 2T @ 2.1 V
ram divider: 533

Yeah, i think the key at this point is to dump the stock cooling...he'll have to do that on his own later this week.

We seem to be stuck at 2.5 if we don't want to tip the 50C scale with the stock cooling at 1.35v. Thanks for the feedback.

I got an hour or two now to play with the RAM, see how this G.Skill does on the OC as I start ramping it up and tightening things.

we'll see if it holds the multiplier at 677.

Additional info:

DDR2 @ 533
Timings: 5-5-5-15 T1

Ht multiplyer: 3x

When we hit the first error at 2.5ghz and 1.35v i upped the voltage to 1.375 and got the error in orthos again without yet increasing the fsb, at around the same 4 minute mark....making me think it's a ram issue? Should i loosen the timings or will that do anything? Just wondering if this is the limit with stock cooling. Temps seem to be hovering around 50c at load.

i have found that an error that quickly is almost always related to ram.
if it fails to start windows, that is usually my indication that the cpu needs a little more voltage. although, voltage could definitely be an issue. though with your temps i wouldnt push it too much farther. although, you can up it a bit just to see if it will pass orthos for longer than a few minutes.
if you have your comp. sitting right next to his, try taking your ram out and swapping it. see if it does any better with your (crucial?) in it.
i am fairly certain it is a ram problem of some sort, you may have a bad stick.
you can also set orthos to stress only the cpu, that may be a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom