Taking Care of My New Laptop??

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbdelRahman

Solid State Member
My uncle bought me an HP Pavilion dv6563cl from the US

Its pretty cool and

I wanna know any possible tips for 'taking good care' of it :)

Thanksss

cool.. first of never use it on ur bed as it blocks the airflow vent holes under the laptop causing it to get VERY hot! so try to use it on a table or bench at all times. apart from that there isnt alot u need to know that ur commen sence wouldnt supply you:p e.g. dont put pressure on the screen..be careful with water or drinks around it etc.. also buying a laptop bag would be a good idea to keep it from getting dust in it when not in use :)

a really inexpensive way to clean the screen and the rest of it for that matter is to take 50% rubbing alcohol and 50% water and use a really soft cloth to wipe everything off. just dip the cloth into the solution dont spray it on. this works for all LCD monitors. it will not mess them up like windex might.

good tips, using it on your bed wont hurt so long as you turn it into "power save" mode (comes with HP laptops nowadays) and don't use it for really long amounts of time to do demandiing tasks. a good way to tell it the laptop is running hot it listen for the fan, if the fan comes on in bursts it is normall if it stays on it is probably a little to hot!

number 1 tip i always tell my customers when buying a laptop, when it is plugged into the wall, do not move the laptop or the power brick....why you ask, cause any kind of movement puts stress on the DC jack's solder joints and over time it may cause them to break and you will have to hold your AC adapter at various different angles to catch a charge before it completely break the connection, and to fix that kind of problem usually costs about $200

1) Never leave it unattended in public places, never leave it in your car, etc... If you must leave it unattended, consider purchasing a motion-alarm notebook lock. This is a casual theft deterrent, not an anti-theft device.

2) Always carry it with both hands. If you carry it with one hand, you're more likely to drop it. Hard landings equal death for consumer notebooks. Also, carrying it one hand usually makes you pinch the notebook to get a good grip, this is especially true on DV6000 series notebooks if you grab the back of the notebook, near the hinges. Also, don't trip over your power cord. This can also lead to a fall. And be careful who you let use your laptop. Friends that can be disrespectful or irresponsible with your property can destroy it.

3) If you aren't planning on using the battery for extended periods of time, consider charging it to around 40% and then removing it and storing it in a cool place (like in a zip top bag in the freezer).

4) The clear plastic sticker cover that's included on your laptop (assuming you haven't peeled it off yet) makes for an excellent protective cover and is quite durable, so keep it on as long as you can to protect the lid from scratches.

5) There are two areas of your notebook that are painted: Your speaker cover and your touchpad. The rest of your notebook is a plastic finish that holds up quite well to abuse. But on the painted areas, never clean it with anything but a damp cloth (water). Window cleaner (ammonia based) is especially devastating to painted electronics, so never use it. Water or rubbing alcohol works well on the plastic areas. Too much water can seep behind the glossy screen and can destroy the glossy cover on your LCD, so make sure you only clean with a damp cloth. Your laptop should have came with a cleaning cloth, it works ok for the cover, but sometimes it just smudges around the fingerprints. They show very clearly on this laptop since it has such a smooth finish.

As far as using it in bed- I use my DV6000Z in bed all the time. Usually its on my lap when I'm sitting in bed, but even when it's on my pillow, it still doesn't suffocate it too much that it overheats.

Looks like you have a new favorite uncle. Take care of the notebook and it should last you a while.

every 2 months blow the laptops fans with a can of air for better circulation ,

Defragment the HD every 3-4 months so the sectors on the HD dont become corrupt

every 2 months blow the laptops fans with a can of air for better circulation ,

Defragment the HD every 3-4 months so the sectors on the HD dont become corrupt

Blowing out the vents is a very good idea I forgot to mention. I opened up a 2 year old laptop that I bought used and it had dust bunnies inside that I couldn't believe. I'm still amazed how the fans kept spinning with that much dust inside.

As far as the defragging, it's a myth that defragmenting increases the life of a drive or prevents file corruption. What it does do is decrease the travel that the heads must make when accessing data. Good idea to do it often, but it's more of a performance maintenance than it is preventing corruption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom