trouble streaming audio/video on VISTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnu

Solid State Member
I installed Vista Business on my computer, with WMP 11.0.6, and after that, I began having trouble streaming both video and audio on my computer. I can't access services such as launch.yahoo or videos on any site - I didn't have this problem when I was running XP Pro, or even in previous installs of Vista.

I've tried disabling both my firewall and anti-virus, and tried each of the following streaming protocols UDP, TCP and HTTP, but am still unable to stream.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what I may have overlooked, or ways to let me stream music/video again? It's just this computer, my laptop with XP pro on it can access launch.yahoo just fine, so I know it's not my internet connection.

Itsnt that version the one used with the pre-beta version of SP1 for Vista? If so uninstall it. That should solve your problem.

The WMP I have is whatever Vista came with stock. I don't have any beta version software on my computer.

It could be Windows Firewall is blocking them. Also have you gotten the Flash player isntalled and all the required codecs?

Yup, all Codecs up to date, and Flash/Java are working fine. Turning off the firewall has no effect.

It's weird because I was able to stream just fine when I previously installed Vista. It was only after I had to re-install that this problem popped up.

Are you using IE7 with Vista or another browser? Does it happen in all browsers or just IE? Do you have any other firewalls that could be blocking this?

What did you install before the flash stopped working? I know this seems like a lot of questions but they are all so we can try and narrow down the culprit.

Yes, IE7 with Vista Business. I'm running Symantec AV. I can't think of any programs in particular that I installed that caused the streaming issues - I have the same programs I had before, including the AV, and I could stream music. Are there other factors in Windows Vista itself, beside the firewall, that might block streaming media?

It's odd: videos from youtube and the internet radio on iTunes WILL stream. Music and video from launch.yahoo.com, cbs.com/innertube, etc, and most other sites will not stream. Does WMP, which both yahoo and cbs use as their media player, have additional settings I'm not aware of?

It could be that they are using the media player 10 not 11. That way you could not view the videos cause your version of WMP is not recognized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom