Firefox 3 Alpha 8 is out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it is preference. But there are plenty of Firefox users that bash Opera as well as IE. So why is it so bad that my opinion of firefox is not that high? Why is it fair for them to do it but not for anyone to say anything bad against Firefox?

Yes firefox is open source. Opera isnt. But that is where security comes in. Anyone can get the source code for firefox and start to rip it apart and find flaws. They cant do that with Opera can they? At the same time you have that many more people looking at the code to find these flaws and get them patched. So it is a good and bad thing all at once. But Opera is offered for free. So that is a plus. That you can have either or both on your PC.

Dont get me wrong. I have firefox installed. I just hate seeing all this bashing of 1 thing over another. You asked how it was better. I stated it. I made valid points to my arguement. Now you say that i was harsh. But yet if i didnt make the comparison like that you would just say that i was a avid Opera fan and never liked firefox. So i had to do that to show my point.

Also being Open Source does not make a application better.

I am an equal opportunity basher. ;)

I am a hardcore FF user. I have mine extremely customized, just like I want it. I can't do that with other browsers.

My aging senses can't register the milliseconds of difference in rendering, so that doesn't really matter to me. Besides, I am willing to wait a second or two to be able to use what I want to use.

FireFox is like MSN msg, it is really popular but really worse & buggy than google Talk.

Furthermore apart from the faster loading time in Opera and all the necessary features that come preinstalled with it you can download widgets that you'll use whenever you want and not always like FF's addons. Besides this, Firefox is quite incompartible with javascript, the most Compartible with js browser is IE and then comes Opera. Opera also comes with a mail client on its sidebar, but FF needs to install Thunderbird first. You can also edit single cookie files unlike IE & FF where the only thing you can do is to delete all cookies.

Yep I personally prefer Opera as well. Nothing wrong with FireFox. I just find the layout more pleasing to the eye and the add-ons much more user friendly in terms of when you decide to use them.

Yes it is preference. But there are plenty of Firefox users that bash Opera as well as IE. So why is it so bad that my opinion of firefox is not that high? Why is it fair for them to do it but not for anyone to say anything bad against Firefox?

Yes firefox is open source. Opera isnt. But that is where security comes in. Anyone can get the source code for firefox and start to rip it apart and find flaws. They cant do that with Opera can they? At the same time you have that many more people looking at the code to find these flaws and get them patched. So it is a good and bad thing all at once. But Opera is offered for free. So that is a plus. That you can have either or both on your PC.

Dont get me wrong. I have firefox installed. I just hate seeing all this bashing of 1 thing over another. You asked how it was better. I stated it. I made valid points to my arguement. Now you say that i was harsh. But yet if i didnt make the comparison like that you would just say that i was a avid Opera fan and never liked firefox. So i had to do that to show my point.

Also being Open Source does not make a application better.

Im not bashing opera either. Its a fine browser, but i prefer FF.

The fact that you came on and bashed it out of the blue is a big turn off. If someone came on and started toting how FF is the supreme browser and you came to defend Opera then you are justified. But this was a thread about a new Alpha being released. Not a flame war.

Personally I am very Ideologically slanted towards open source, and more so everyday. Since Linux will simply not work with my wifi card (trust me i've tried 10000000 times) I have to find the best Open Source software for windows. I don't use anything M$ except for windows itself on my laptop and thats for compatibility, and my desktop is dual boot. I think i'm going on a bit of a tangent here, but my point is that when Opera becomes Open Source, if it ever does, then I'll consider using it.

IMO if its not Open Source and you can't change it how you want then you don't really own it.

I can modify my car with all kinds of parts to my desire, why cant i do that to my software?

bah i here opera people talking about how great it is but i don't hear any reasons why its better.
See i didnt jsut come in and bash firefox out of nowhere. You asked for proof. I gave it. I didnt bash it anyways. I just gave legitimate examples of how Opera is better than firefox. What are you mad cause i cracked a joke about how they are still releaseing alpha builds of Firefox 3 instead of going into the Beta phase? So what. Opera 9.5 is in alpha and not even in Beta and we were promised that beta back when Opera 9.2 was released. Now they are on Opera 9.23 and we still only have the Alpha. See Equal opportunity.

So you dont like software cause it isnt open source...that is golden. So you think just cause you can modify it that it is yours? You can modify Opera all you want. You can add your own scripts and do **** near everything you can with firefox with Opera. Just cause it isnt open source doesnt mean they dont allow you to modify it. Try going to their community forums and see for yourself. Not all closed source applications are as bad as M$.

Plus if you REALLY wanted to be a Linux user, why not just get a NEW WiFi card that does work? You boast all this crap and then use windows. If it was that important to you. You would either a.) write the drivers your self or b.) get a card that does work. So you really dont care you just like the free part.

Seriously what is it with you FSF people? Why does everything that is closed source so bad? There is so much closed source software that is free it isnt funny. Just cause you guys cant tinker with the coding. Whoopie di do. Get over it. If you want it that bad code it.

Plus modifying your car anyway you want...voids your warrenty. So what happens when you get into a accident and :eek: you are not covered cause you modified your car. Plus a car and software for your PC are 2 totally differnet and unrelated things. If you really what that much freedom get a new WiFi card, stop being so cheap and join the rest of the Linux nation and tote how bad M$ is and why they charge for things. You people make me laugh.

I already stated i do use firefox. But when asked a question about how something is better i am going to ask. So you can take you sorry feelings and my "bashing" how you want it. I answered your questions with legitimate proof. If i had not done so then you would have said that i was just lying. If you really want i will go thru the fourm and find all the time that your and yoru "firefox" faithful have bashed other browsers. Shouldnt be to hard. Find the first IE topic.

Yep I personally prefer Opera as well. Nothing wrong with FireFox. I just find the layout more pleasing to the eye and the add-ons much more user friendly in terms of when you decide to use them.

please don't double post... if you wanna say something else... please edit your original post...

Makaveli213 said:
If you really want i will go thru the fourm and find all the time that your and yoru "firefox" faithful have bashed other browsers. Shouldnt be to hard. Find the first IE topic.
Yeah, but IE deserves to be bashed.

Anyway, it amazes me how a post reporting that FF Alpha 8 was released turned into a FF/Opera bashing free for all. So, let's chill out, OK?

Both Opera and FF are great browsers, and both prove that someone besides M$ can make one that works. Both are customizable. SO, it boils down to personal choice. Opera or Firefox? Chevy or Ford? Trojan or Forex? Ummm... yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom