BIOS Password Persists, Even After Removing Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard596

In Runtime
I've got an HP Pavilion ze4400 that was given to me, used. It needs the OS reinstalled but won't boot to a CD and there is a password on the BIOS, that even the original owner doesn't know.

I took the whole thing apart to remove the CMOS battery, but when I turned in back on the password was still there. I have since tried once more with the same results.

I talked to HP support and they say the whole motherboard has to be replaced (for $398, I might add....big joke) but I can't help but think there might be a way fix it myself.

Has anyone run into this before or at least have any ideas for me?
Thanks a lot.

Did you take out the power cable from the back also, then pressed the power button? Did you take out the battery? Do you know what type of BIOS it is? Phoenix? Etc...

well i had this issue... but i thought removing the CMO's battery was it.. but u have to change the jumpers on the board from 1 and 2 to 2 and 3 pull out the CMOS battery.... wait 30 seconds and do this in inverse but this can depend board by board..

well i had this issue... but i thought removing the CMO's battery was it.. but u have to change the jumpers on the board from 1 and 2 to 2 and 3 pull out the CMOS battery.... wait 30 seconds and do this in inverse but this can depend board by board..

Or laptop board...

why not buy a new one... trade and refund.. or see if you can find this board name online... cuz i can't find the stinking thing...

Here's a link to the search results on HP's site: Search HP US - Search results for 'hp pavilion ze4430us notebook pc ze4400'

It's actually a ze4430us.

I did remove the main battery before removing the CMOS battery because the CMOS battery is located on the underside of the motherboard, meaning EVERYTHING has to come out just to get to it. I looked for a jumper but I don't think it has one like most desktop boards do.

I already have 2 other laptops so I don't have much need for this one and can't afford to spend much getting it fixed, but I hate to junk it just because the silly BIOS won't reset.

I just went in to see what BIOS this is using and it just says "Argon PXE Boot Agent v.2.01 (BIOS Integrated)". I haven't heard of that one before. Am I looking at the wrong thing?

It's also possible to update the BIOS and clear the PROM. Find a BIOS update or the current version and flash it, that will remove your password.

I used to work for HP notebook support. Usually when these models came in, we had to have it shipped to the service center to have the password removed (I had assumed with the standard remove cmos, or a simple jumper or some sort.)

We never had to replace the board itself. And we didn't even charge for the process for out of warranty people. Always thought that was strange. However, I quit almost 3 years ago. So the policy might have changed. Either way, it wouldn't require a replacement of the system board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom