Time keeps getting messed up

Status
Not open for further replies.

kileak

Baseband Member
Lately every time I turn on my computer the time is messed up. I have it set to automatically synchronize with internet time. When I tell it to update now it says it failed to connect with the time server. Thanks.

The CMOS battery is probaly drained. Also, what time server are you trying to connect to? Does manually synchronizing work?

I thought of the battery being dead too, but this is a relatively new computer, maybe 1.5 years. It's a compaq presario V6120US. How do you replace the battery? My old computer, also a presario I had about 4 years and never had a problem.

It wouldn't be your CMOS battery unless your laptops main battery is completely drained or removed, which I doubt it.

A good way to test whether or not it's the CMOS battery is to apply some obvious change in BIOS (such as change initial numlock on/off, change boot order, enable/disable something). These settings (as well as your system time) are stored in volatile memory (memory that will lose data if it has no power). The small CMOS battery provides this power when there's no main power (such as main battery or power supply), and if it dies and your system has no alternative power source to keep the data, it will lose it- and your system will revert to default settings.

So the theory is, if you make a change in BIOS (something not default), and your clock suddenly gets messed up, if you look back at the BIOS settings and notice that your change in BIOS is also reset to default, it's likely your CMOS battery is kaputt.

If the change in BIOS you made did not reset itself with the clock reset, it's likely that the problem lies not with the CMOS battery, but somewhere else (likely a software issue).

On most laptops, the CMOS battery is user-accessible, and is generally replaced by removing the RAM cover or mini-PCI cover. Some require you to remove the keyboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom