This is why you never buy a pre-built machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brinson

Daemon Poster
about 2 years ago I was even poorer than I am now :(

I saw an ad for a GQ system at Fry's for $500 with LCD. I added up the parts on newegg....low and behold, it was CHEAPER than the parts were individually.

Naturally, I bought it.

A week ago my motherboard caught on fire.

I open it up...the motherboard is factor form.

So I think to myself "Okay, I'll just get a factor form motherboard." But then I check...the case was custom designed for this motherboard, the pin connections are one block, so I doub another MB will work.

Then, I remove my heatsink figuring I'll at least make sure the cpu isn't fried...

I've never seen a p4 cpu...I built my last 2 PCs with Athlon XPs

The cpu is tiny...this can't be normal. 1.5 inches wide...maybe...did they put a laptop cpu in my pc? wtf?

But, alas, at least they put a full size heatsink on...making the area around the cpu a kind of hidey hole for CAKES of dust...

Now, I have to:

1) Buy a new Case
2) Determine what is up with the cpu
3) Find a motherboard that supports it, and my ram.
4) Buy said Ram
5) Rebuild PC...

You seem a little lost here.

For starters, "form factor" is what type of motherboard you have. Form factor is not a type, it defines a type. ATX, mATX, ITX, etc are all different form factors.

I doubt the case was custom built for the motherboard. The motherboard is probably mATX, so it's smaller than normal.

Your CPU is not a laptop CPU, that is just how big P4's are. Athlon 64 are that size too.

The only problem with the main power plug (ATX) is that it might have a different pin layout. Otherwise, it will work with pretty much any motherboard. Though I'd recommend a new power supply anyway, because the ones that come with pre-built PC's are usually junk.

I didn't mean the power one, I meant the pins for the controls on the front- they're prearranged into one block rather than seperate, making them useless for a motherboard with a different pin layout.

Yeah, maybe they're all form factors, but I've never heard someone referred to a "standard" sized one as form factor. The term is most commonly used with micro atx boards.

"Standard' is called ATX. The form factor is the size and layout of the motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom