AM2 build for future Phenom

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnelson07

In Runtime
I decided to go with an AM2 build because I'll be upgrading to a Phenom in about 6 months or less. But, there are a few tricks to my build. I'll show the build first and then explain afterwards.

Case: Cooler Master 690 - $60
Motherboard: ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe - $142 (won't use SLI, but better overclocker than M2N-E)
Processor: AMD Athlon X2 6000+ - $165 (upgrade to Phenom later)
Heatsink & Fan: Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme with Antec 120mm Blue LED - $78 (combined)
Thermal: Shin-Etsu - $5
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 2GB - $110
*Video Card: 7800GT (re-using current card, upgrading to evga 8800GTX in Nov.)
HDD: WD Caviar 750GB - $190
Optical: Sony NEC DVD Burner - $33
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster SE - $30
PSU: Silverstone 750W Modular (already purchased and in current system because old PSU died, I will transfer it to this to this new rig)
Total: $800 + shipping

So, this is my plan: I'm going to buy all of that for $800+ and transfer my current 7800GT and Silverstone PSU to power everything. The reason I'm getting the 8800GTX in November is two fold. It will be free because it's my birthday (yay spoiled by parents) and two because the G90 series should be near and will hopefully create a price drop.

Any suggestions or changes? I was going to get the ASUS M2N-E but I read it isn't much of an overclocker. Also I thought about the G.SKILL HZ's but I'm sure the Ballistix will hold up and save me about $40.

Well I want a good CPU to start off with when I get the 8800GTX in a little over a month. Plus, if I were to go that route I'd rather just save the $100 for the Phenom later rather than buy another case. I like that 690 a lot. Very nice sub $100 case. I almost got the Antec 900 until I found it.

Plus, I'm not a very experienced over clocker. I've toyed with it some but not enough to be confident in OC'ing this proc to 2.4-2.6ghz or anything.

Like I said guys, I'm not a very experienced over clocker. I understand tweaking the BIOS for the most part, I guess I don't understand the stress tests. Plus, it takes a couple of days to ensure that it's completely stable, right?

Like I said guys, I'm not a very experienced over clocker. I understand tweaking the BIOS for the most part, I guess I don't understand the stress tests. Plus, it takes a couple of days to ensure that it's completely stable, right?
yes...but totally worth it

yes...but totally worth it

Give me a quick little walk through if you don't mind. I understand upping the voltage, no so much the multipliers. Also, what stress tests do you (or anyone else) run to ensure stability?

I'm pretty sure I remember there being some ultimate resource for this, so if you know the link or can find it, that's fine. Thanks!

i would just wait for the Phenoms to come out first, along with the RD790 n RD780 mobos, thats what im doing, im waiting for benchmarks too.

From what I heard Phenom was delayed to Q1 2008

AMD's upcoming RX780 chipset, the little brother of the RD790 has now been approved by the PCI SIG and is now even closer to be released, in advance to Phenom's arrival. The RX780 will basically be a RD790 with less PCIe lines and will only have one PCI-Express 2.0 x16 slot. The ‘lower-end' chipset will still support every AM2+ CPU and will feature the new HyperTransport 3.0, will have DDR2-1066 support and will be initially paired up with the SB600 southbridge.

AMD has pushed back the release of its new chipset line-up so it will come just before it starts shipping Phenom processors, something that is likely to happen in December. The bulk of the Phenom series (Phenom X4, X3 and X2) will be released in Q1 2008.

TechConnect Magazine - AMD’s RX780 gets PCI-Express approval

It seems that Intel 45nm processors are going to come earlier than phenom

If I were you I would wait for the benchmarks of these new processors and get the one that performs better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom