Using DVI port for monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bagelred

In Runtime
Hey, I'm about to show my computer ignorance. My new flat panel monitor has both a VGA and DVI input. I've been using the VGA with my desktop since I bought it. But can I use the DVI input? My computer, from what I see, doesn't have a DVI output slot. Is that because the video card won't handle DVI?

So, I guess my question is, is there a way to hook up my desktop with the DVI output to my monitor. And even if I could somehow, would it make a difference in picture or would it be the same as VGA? Is it worth doing if I could?

Here are my specs:

Monitor: Acer AL2223W 22", Screen Resolution 1680x1050
Computer: Dell Dimension 3000. 3.0 GHZ, Pentium 4, 1 GB Memory, 80 MB Hard Drive, Windows XP Media Center,
Video Board - Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller, 96 MB

Thanks for the help.....

There would be no difference. If your video card is only putting out VGA (which it converts digital to analog), you could get a converter/adapter to hook a DVI cable to it, but there would be no change in quality since it would still essentially be VGA output.

"When connected via an analog connection, an LCD is vulnerable to the same distortions that affect CRT monitors. However, when connected via a digital connection, often labeled DVI (for Digital Visual Interface), no digital-to-analog conversion is required, and there should be no loss or corruption of the signal. As a result, when running at its native resolution, an LCD should give you a cleaner and crisper image than you'd see on a CRT.

Edit:

However, the advantage of digital signals for LCDs is of somewhat less importance now than it was a few years ago. Analog signal processing has improved to the point where major differences in image quality can be difficult to detect."

Use whatever connection is on your computer. Adapters will degrade the performance more than just using the vga input.

I'm using the dvi>vga adapter on my 2nd monitor because the dvi port on the monitor quit working and i can definately see a difference between what it used to look like with dvi and what it looks like now going through an adapter.

I guess trying to get a DVI adapter doesn't make sense then.

I'll just remain an analog guy in a digital world. Now where did I leave my Sony Walkman.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom