I need advice building a 5-6k USD 'puter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wog2000

Baseband Member
Hi, I am in the planning stage of building a nice gaming computer. I haven't built one in a long time so I would like to get your advice on what the do's and dont's are. This is what I am looking at so far...

Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6800 Processor - 2.93GHz, 8MB Cache, 1066MHz FSB, Kentsfield XE, Quad-Core, Retail, Socket 775, BX80562QX6800, Processor with Fan

Asus Striker Extreme Motherboard - NVIDIA, Socket 775, ATX, Audio, PCI Express, SLI Ready, Dual Gigabit LAN, S/PDIF, Firewire & USB 2.0, Serial ATA / RAID

2x BFG GeForce 8800 GTS OC / 640MB GDDR3 / SLI Ready / PCI Express / Dual DVI / HDTV / Video Card

2x OCZ Reaper HPC Dual Channel 2048MB PC9200 DDR2 1150MHz Memory (2 x 1024MB)

2x Hitachi / 250GB / 7200 / 8MB / SATA-300 / OEM / SATA-II Hard Drive

Logitech G7 Laser Gaming Mouse

Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard

Silverstone TJ07-S ATX Full-Tower Aluminum Case with Front USB, FireWire and Audio Ports

Ultra / X3 / 1000-Watt / ATX / SATA-Ready / PCI-E Ready / Energy Efficient / Modular Power Supply

Altec Lansing FX5051 6-Piece 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers with Isobaric Subwoofer

TrippLite SM1050NAFTA - 1050VA SmartPro NAFTA Line-Interactive UPS Tower

Philips SPD2513BD Super-Allwrite Retail DVD Burner - 20x DVD±R Burn, 16x DVD±R Read, 8x DVD+RW, 6x DVD-RW, 48x24x CD-R/RW, Black, SATA

Lite-On LH-20A1S SuperAllwrite SATA DVD Burner - 20x DVD±R Burn, 16x DVD±R Read, 8x DVD+RW, 6x DVD-RW, 8x DVD±R DL, 12x DVD-RAM, 48x32x CD-R/RW and Ultra DVD Labeling Kit (OEM Pkg)

Lol....I don't even know where to begin to tell you that if you want a nice gaming computer you don't need to spend that much money. However I will start by saying if you want to go ALL OUT with that much money why only SLI 8800GTS? Why not SLI 8800GTX's, or Ultras or even Crossfire HD2900XT's?

Also the Quad Extreme is not needed....

You do plan to overclock I hope.

get the qx6850 which is the same price, then get 2x xfx 8800ultras, then go for 4x1gb g-skill hz, and get a 1000w enermax galaxy psu. other then that your mobo is good and everything elses seems ok, oh go for a coolmaster stacker case and get 4 80mm fans for the side panel to put in.

OK, I dont need to spend that much, but that is what I have budgeted. I am a little concerned about the motherboard. I have just found a site that warns against them. What I am looking for is a good futureproof gaming computer.

Wow, when this guy does something, he does it right.

That being said, a lot of your components can be switched out for cheaper or more effective ones. With that kind of a budget, expect to have 30,000 replies by the time you wake up tomorrow. Oh, and if you'd like, feel free to contribute to my computer building fund. PM me for PayPal details. :)

Seriously though, go for the SLi-Ultras. If you're going to throw around that much cash, you may as well.

Unless you are playing at GIANT resolutions you do not need to spend that much money.

3 thousand is more reasonable for a very high performances machine while 2k will destroy games...

I actually suggest Crossfire HD X2900XT's since they have been proven to scale better in Crossfire mode than the Ultra's in SLI.

I believe the current 3Dmark06 score was done with Crossfire HD 2900XT's if not at one point they did take the lead over SLI Ultra's.

The P35 board does not support Crossfire or SLI which honestly you do NOT need for excellent frames since one 8800Ultra will pretty much play anything you want right now max no lag.

DDR3 is very expensive and the performance increase is minimal. It's not "worth" the extra money over it but I mean if you think a slight increase is worth the 350 extra bucks then go ahead its your cash. Even if I had a 5k budget I would stick with DDR2 for a while as it's still in full force and good still.

May I ask what will you be gaming on screen wise? An HDTV or a monitor. Also what resolution will it be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom