So, What about this system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eipnvn

Baseband Member
After several questions on this board and LOTS of reading, I've come up with the following. Before I buy, I'd appreciate some feedback. I just want to get the most for my money without spending a ton.

BFG Tech 7900gs ($119 after rebate)
Newegg.com - BFG Tech BFGR79256GSOCE GeForce 7900GS 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
EVGA nForce 650i Ultra ($65 after rebates)
Buy.com - EVGA nForce 650i Ultra Socket 775 Quad-Core Supported ATX Motherboard - 122-CK-NF66-T1
Intel DC e4500 ($144.99)
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 Allendale 2.2GHz 2M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail
Coolmax Case ($14.99 after rebate)
Newegg.com - COOLMAX CS-480-Black W/O PSU Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Corsair 2GB DDR2 800 ($64.99 after rebate)
Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

I already have a nice PSU that I'll be transferring to this computer.
So after rebates and before shipping we're coming in right around $409 for the system.
I'd love to hear pros and cons, especially if I could improve the system without spending (a lot) more money.

Thanks for the info on the ram, it looks as if that would be the way to go. I forgot to mention the Arctic Cooling CPU Cooler at $19.99, pushing me up to about $427 before shipping and after rebates.
Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail

if your not gonna overclock don't bother with an aftermarket cooler, if you are... get the best and don't skimp, look for ones in the 40-60 price range since those generally have price for performance ratios

The AC Freezer 7 Pro although being cheap, is more than enough to cool an E4500, through overclocking. He won't need anything more than that.

I'll probably overclock a bit, I'm not necessarily looking to push the CPU to the edge of what it can do, just a moderate gain. So knowing that, would I need an aftermarket cooler?

ok, thanks b1gapl - you answered my question before I posted it... cool. or weird. Either way....thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom