Still unsure about the 7900gs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

eipnvn

Baseband Member
So I know that the 7900gs is a great card, highly overclockable and all, but I'm still tempted by visions of directx 10 floating before my eyes. I've only ever owned Nvidia stuff, but I know that the 8600 performs poorly for a gaming card and it's about the only DX10 Card in my price range. Does ATI have anything around the 100-175 price range that's DX10 that's worth buying, or should I just get over it, buy the 7900 and enjoy it?

You should just get over it, and get the 7900GS. As of now, DX10 graphics aren't stunningly different from DX9. And any low end DX10 card, is not worthy of playing games in DX10 mode.

Buy it, or save a few more bucks and get an 8800 gts

if you want to do that, you can always buy an EVGA card and stepitup when you can finally cover the difference in price

evga.com offers a step-up program which lets you send in your current card for a newer one if you pay the difference

you must file a request within 90 days, so if you can muster up the money within 90 days thats probably a good choice for you

before you do anything though, note that EVGA.com uses their own prices for the card you pic to stepup to, so if its listed for 300 at EVGA, then you have to cover the difference from the price you paid on your card, and to the $300 card

Ya, thats what im planning to do with my gts, hopefully their price will come down enough to justify the step up in another 7 weeks or so when i get close to my 90 day mark. Otherwise i'll probably just hang on to it until the 9800s come out.

Thanks guys, I'm going to look into the EVGA program, that sounds like it might be a good deal for me.

Remember though, you MUST register the card in the first 30 days to get the lifetime warranty and be eligible for the stepup. I registered mine on like day 29 :p

if you want to see the beauty of dx10...i would save up and get the 8800 series other wise its not worth it.
And to tell you the truth, the only game that has shows som dx10 improvements is World In Conflict.
Im playing call of juarez, lost planet, and bioshock and it barely makes a difference.
But world in conflict has some pretty cool visual adds with DX10.

if you want to see the beauty of dx10...i would save up and get the 8800 series other wise its not worth it.
And to tell you the truth, the only game that has shows som dx10 improvements is World In Conflict.
Im playing call of juarez, lost planet, and bioshock and it barely makes a difference.
But world in conflict has some pretty cool visual adds with DX10.

Crysis is coming out very soon... that game will be so much better with dx10 0_0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom