Dual vs. Quad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is comparison between Q6600 and E6850

untitledna7.jpg

Q6600 beats E6850 easily in most of non gaming applications

In gaming, E6850 performs better in gaming (but not much better). Thats might change because future games is going to be optimized for quad cores

In average E6850 is 3.7% slower than Q6600. And in the future the average performance for Q6600 is going to be even better.

thats pretty interesting perhaps games dont utilize all the quads cores

I don't think the gains are significant enough to make the switch right now if you have a perfectly good dual-core. Wait for it to drop in price. Unless you really need it.

I don't think the gains are significant enough to make the switch right now if you have a perfectly good dual-core. Wait for it to drop in price. Unless you really need it.

That was kind of my point. I'm thinking about buying an AMD dual core (budget for now) and spending good money on the rest. Then later, when AMD releases their Phenom I'll upgrade to that. I just figure the next line of quads starting next year will outperform the current ones and therefore making a current investment in a quad core would only leave me upset. Like when I bought a 7800GT and they later release the 7900GTX within like 2-3 months.

The rest of the system would stay the same, mobo, 2gb ram, 8800gtx, 750w psu, ect.

I can't really see anyone being upset with the q6600 XD even if the dual run's 10% better in certain game, what framerate do you think either would be at ^^ it wouldn't be a difference you can tell visually because both CPU's would annihilate the games, if the rest of your system is built for it of course. If were talking about 60fps and 70fps or 150fps and 160fps then either way the slight gain the dual core has right now over the quad core is insignificant.. Whereas it will probably lose that gain in the future. on another note if you already own a good dual core, no theres no reason to really switch i suppose. I'm just saying since they q6600 is so cheap right now it might be better to just buy it, and save the hassle of upgrading it in 2-3 months >.> or play the waiting game till the Phenom and such comes out, then somethign else will be just around the corner and you may want to wait for that as well. That's all IMO though. If you wait and get the phenom you might not have to upgrade for many year's I suppose, so it's all just personal preference. Short run - vs Looong Looong run. I'm just the impatient type and hate long run scenarios lmao

"Q6600 beats E6850 easily in most of non gaming applications

In gaming, E6850 performs better in gaming (but not much better). Thats might change because future games is going to be optimized for quad cores"

exactly, quad will improve down the road due to optimizations and is free performance, more future proof. I'd go quad if the budget allows

Even with overclocking, a q6600 g0 at 3.6? Has any1 done it on air?

I have had mine running 3.6 on air just fine, never broke 62C. I cant get the freaking 4th core stable in orthos though. But, and heres the thing, i could give a crap about being orthos stable because i dont run my machine 24/7. I can run 3.6 at 1.35V and stay under 60 degrees and run every game i have without crashing. So yes, 3.6 on air is quite possible, but i also have probably the ultimate air cooling. TRUE-120 with an Antec 900 and all fans on high.

I'm currently running it at stock until the weather cools off because it heats up my apartment so bad, and atm, i still get 60+ fps playing Wow without overclocking. Another thing people tend to forget, when gaming, how often do you have internet browsers or music or voice chat programs or messenger programs etc etc running in the background. Open your task manager and look at the number of threads running. A quad core DOES in fact make a lot of difference for those of us who multitask. I'd dare to say that very few gamers have EVERY possible start up task turned off and only run the game with 0 other processes running in the background.

Short story long, if you currently have a core2duo, theres not much reason to upgrade to a quad, but if you are building a new machine, there is ZERO reason to buy a core2duo when for a paltry 5-10% addition to the build you can get a quad core and increase your performance by 25-50% OR MORE.

Sorry, this somehow turned into a rant, but whatever. You can wait for the "newer better stuff" but you'll always be waiting and right now, the q6600 is by far the biggest bang for the buck as far as cpu's go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom