e6320 overclock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uberg

Baseband Member
Hey all.

I have an Intel e6320 and a Gigabyte Ga-965p-s3 motherboard. When i got them i overclocked the e6320 to about 2.5-2.6 ghz with no problems. But recently i noticed it has reset to its default 1.86 ghz. Whenever i try to either over or underclock the processor, it restarts my computer and sets it back to 1.86. This is very annoying, does anyone know why it is happening?

Edit: sorry, i hadn't noticed there was a specific overclocking forum.

The memory may have trouble (errors or has trouble reaching a higher clock without more voltage). Which type of RAM do you have?

I have Kingston Value Ram.

Previously this did overclock absolutely fine though.

The voltage is set to auto. I will try again today.

I have Kingston Value Ram.

Previously this did overclock absolutely fine though.

The voltage is set to auto. I will try again today.

You'll have to change the divider if you want to use Value RAM. It won't be able to overclock high enough for the speeds you want.

"You'll have to change the divider if you want to use Value RAM"

Can someone explain this to me?

You can change the divider settings in your BIOS. A divider allows you choose the ratio in which the memory frequency and the cpu frequency work together.

An E6320 has an 8x multiplier (8x266.66= 2.1Ghz) DDR2 533 runs as 266 x 2 = 533. So if your divider is a 1:1, both will be at 266. If you attempt to overclock, both will raise in sync. If you change the divider, you can run the memory or the CPU slower/faster than the other by the ratio chosen.

Ah, i see. If the e6320 has an 8x multiplier, why can i only choose 6 or 7 in my BIOS?

Edit: In the bios there is no divider for memory, but a multiplier (2, 2.5, 3 etc and an "auto" option).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom