stacked2008

Solid State Member
I have a toshiba laptop and was having a hard time booting up
i just could not get in....so i ran my recovery cd to start over
and even that doesnt work.....so im thinking its the HDD

now my question is can i go buy another HDD and start over and if so
i had windows xp on it if i buy a new HDD how do i re-install XP
can someone help me out

When you say huge laptop, how big are we talking? I kid i kid, but can you even get into the bios? Do you get a BSOD when booting or does nothing at all happen? IF you have to reinstall, the laptop should have an oem key somewhere on it, you just need to get ahold of a bootable disk and reuse that cd key.

so whats wrong with it? what does ir do? please can you leave the specs of your laptop so we can help you more

I was able to get into the BIOS...once im in that there not much i can do
inthere...othere than changing the way the cpu boots up like HDD/CD/etc...

i will get as much info as i can tonite and posted tomorrow

thanks again

same happen to mine and I ran Spinrite with no success. At that point I removed the drive located under the cd rom drive. Remove one screw under the laptop cd drive and slide it out, then remove 4 screws holding HDD, then carefully pull and slightly wiggle back the HDD until it seperates from the pins.
Take the HDD to a computer shop and by a new one. The type of HDD is written on the casing.

good luck

try running the defaul in the bios...
and when you put in your recovery disk, how far does it get into it?

I put thecd in and it starts the recovery then it jams up and gives me errors?
there no other way around this???

i would try borrowing a friends windows cd and check if that works...because that way you could format the hdd once getting into the windows setup.

It's possible any one of your boot sectors could be corrupted. Don't be so quick to open the wallet. First try reformatting the drive, or atleast run a HD test. Using the recovery disks don't always work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom