Fx 74 Vs Q6600

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirius_GTO

In Runtime
I've been talking to a buddy who is knowledgeable on computers, and he tells me that FX 74 will be a much more responsive system than the Q6600. What do you think?

Maybe...But I think you have to buy them in pairs, because they're meant to go in a dual socket motherboard. And that would cost more than a Q6600 setup.

but one FX 74 is also as good as a q6600, so shouldn't two be better?

One FX-74 is just a dual core processor. One FX-74 would be much slower than Q6600 in multi-threaded applications and the applications that utilize quad cores

There is no reason to get pair of FX-74 because Q6600 is much cheaper and overclocks much better

the FX 74 is at 3.0, it has a faster FSB and more cache. Has their been any overclocking articles on this processor? Thanks

the FX 74 is at 3.0, it has a faster FSB and more cache

First: FX-74 doesn't use FSB, it uses Hypertransport instead

Second: Q6600 have 8MB L2 cache, much more than FX-74

Third: Having higher GHz doesn't mean that the processor is better. The older Pentium 4 processors had much higher GHz than Athlon64 but they performed worse. The new Intel core 2 processors can do more instruction per Hz than AMD processors.

Just look at the review I posted above, Core 2 Duo 2.33GHz (E6550) outperformed AMD 2.8GHz (5600+).

Has their been any overclocking articles on this processor?

I'm not sure if there is overclocking articles for FX-74 but there is power consumption article for FX-74

Click here to see the article

FX-74 consume too much power

And since they consume too much power, I think they are not good for overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom