Memory problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spug-a-lug

Solid State Member
Hello all

I tried installing some extra memory on my PC which has caused the machine to go completely haywire.

When I first put the new 1gb stick in, which I had carefully selected to make sure it was compatible (or so I thought!), the machine didn't beep and nothing happened when I switched it on. Tried it in different memory sockets but still no joy. So I put the old stuff back in but then the PC had gone a bit loopy. The system clock had reset and wouldn't boot into windows, it'd just end up with a blank screen after the windows XP screen appeared. Eventually the mouse pointer would appear.

After a lot of fiddling and taking stuff in and out of the mobo the latest situation is now that it won't boot into windows when the graphics card is plugged in, but will boot into safe mode. Windows will boot and work (fairly) normally with the graphics card out and using the mobo's on board graphics, which certainly isn't pretty. If i try to install up to date drivers for the onboard graphics that means the PC doesn't boot into windows. Have abandoned the idea of the 1gb memory stick I bought and picked up a 512mb stick which I've got installed along with the two old 256mb sticks.

Haven't a clue what to do now. Not sure if I've broken something on the mobo, or the graphics card, or if there's a problem with the memory, or the drivers for the graphics card. Don't really want to have to reformat the hard disk if it can be avoided...

Any suggestions most welcome!

Thanks,

Spug

PC is:

P4 2.6ghz
1gb RAM
Asus P4B533-V mobo
nVidia 4800 AGP graphics card (not currently installed)
XP
Other stuff (including sound card and a network card)

Thanks for the tip. Have tried setting the values in the BIOS to default, but that hasn't fixed it. Is that what you mean? Or is there some cunning trick that I'm missing...?

Tried putting the graphics card back in and uninstalling the driver, which didn't help. But it would boot into safe mode, and although wasn't using the proper drivers (it was using VGASave) looking in the device manager showed up some conflicts. Could this be the problem? If so, how do you change the settings? The message in the resource box says:

Input/Output Range 03B0 - 03BB used by:
Intel(R) 82845G/GL Processor to AGP Controller - 2561
Input/Output Range 03C0 - 03DF used by:
Memory Range 000A0000 - 000BFFFF used by:

Any ideas?

Thanks.

This may sound really thick but I'm not quite sure what you mean. Do you mean use the tool on the bottom of your post to reset it - or is there another way? Have scoured the mobo's manual but it doesn't seem to make any mention of resetting the CMOS.

Thanks,

Spug

There should be a set of 3 pins on your motherboard with a jumper bridging 2 of them, the jumper needs to be moved across one step for a few seconds, then moved back and turn your PC on. This clears the CMOS.

Your motherboard manual should tell you exactly which set of jumpers clear the CMOS as often there are a few that look similar. Often it is also written on the board itself, the jumpers are usually near the battery.

Thanks for this. I've found a section in the manual which tells you how to clear RTC RAM and fits with what you suggested.

It says I should take out the battery and short a couple of solder points, put the battery back in and turn on holding down the del key to enter BIOS setup. A bit more worryingly, it then says I should "re-enter data". Does this mean I'll need to take a note of the BIOS settings before I do this procedure so I can get the PC working again? Or is the point of it to reset everything and hope it still works....?!

Spug

You will need to set anything that isn't the defaults. It may be an idea to make a note of any settings if you're unsure. You'll probably find that most things won't change though.

Incidentally I don't think I've ever had to take out the battery AND short the pins. Taking out the battery is the old school method before they put the pins on the board. However, if that's what the manual says to do then I'd go with that.

Aaaargh! Tried resetting the CMOS as suggested and it worked like a charm. All seemed to be working well until i tried reinstalling the graphics card drivers, which said I needed to restart, and then it was back to square one. So tried resetting the CMOS again only this time it didn't help. And again, same result. Booted into safe mode and tried uninstalling the graphics card but the PC tells me it is needed by Windows so you can't uninstall it, so there. Pesky machine.

It boots OK into normal Windows with the graphics card taken out, as before, albeit at a very low resolution. Also tried shuffling some things like the sound card around in the slots, as I'd seen suggested to someone else, but that didn't help.

Spug

Aaaargh! Tried resetting the CMOS as suggested and it worked like a charm. All seemed to be working well until i tried reinstalling the graphics card drivers, which said I needed to restart, and then it was back to square one. So tried resetting the CMOS again only this time it didn't help. And again, same result. Booted into safe mode and tried uninstalling the graphics card but the PC tells me it is needed by Windows so you can't uninstall it, so there. Pesky machine.

It boots OK into normal Windows with the graphics card taken out, as before, albeit at a very low resolution. Also tried shuffling some things like the sound card around in the slots, as I'd seen suggested to someone else, but that didn't help.

Spug

uninstall it through the add remove programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom