Opteron 165 vs C2D E4300

Status
Not open for further replies.

commandercup

cuPWNED
Which is better?

I know the stock clock of an E4300 is 1.8 ghz, but I've heard you can overclock it to 2.5 minimum even with the stock heatsink

I don't really know anythin about the opteron, but I heard it also clocks crazily

Which has better performance based on a stock fan overclock? (Max you can clock it to with stock heatsink)

I'm thinking about dropping my 4200+ and getting something relatively cheap (around 100) that can clock really well and provide better performance

I've currently got an AM2 board, cheapo so I'm willing to upgrade that, heard good things about the striker extreme, evga 650i etc.

Which AM2 motherboard do you have?....because you can just wait a couple months, and get a Phenom processor, which is backwards compatible with AM2.

yeah I was thinking about that, but any idea how much the phenom's will cost?

Gigabyte GA-M55SLI-S4 Rev 2.0

i typically get better overclocks out of my 3600 than an opteron 165. with less heat.
you can probably do it with a cheap mobo. the cpu is only like 50 bucks.
just for your info.
as far as the price of phenom i have no earthly clue.

hmm... if I wait for Phenom, will the decreased HTT since I'm using a standard AM2 not + matter much? How much will it effect performance?

i typically get better overclocks out of my 3600 than an opteron 165. with less heat.
you can probably do it with a cheap mobo. the cpu is only like 50 bucks.
just for your info.
as far as the price of phenom i have no earthly clue.

we stopped recommmending the x2 3600+ and we recommend the Brisbane x2 4000+.... idk why... but i'll follow the trend too....

^^lol proly cos it isnt sold at newegg anymore. i dont think they will be making any more 3600's. in any event, the 4000 is the price i paid for my 3600 a few months ago.
i was just making the case that a cheaper cpu could oc just as well.
by the way, OP...opteron 165 is a s939 cpu.
what you'd be wanting to get is an opteron 1210 (santa anna). if you want it to work in your am2 mobo, that is. sorry i didnt catch that till i reviewed your first post.
its still 35 dollars more than the 4000.

^^lol proly cos it isnt sold at newegg anymore. i dont think they will be making any more 3600's. in any event, the 4000 is the price i paid for my 3600 a few months ago.
i was just making the case that a cheaper cpu could oc just as well.
by the way, OP...opteron 165 is a s939 cpu.
what you'd be wanting to get is an opteron 1210 (santa anna). if you want it to work in your am2 mobo, that is. sorry i didnt catch that till i reviewed your first post.
its still 35 dollars more than the 4000.

he is correct, the 165 is a s939 only cpu, but still a monster OCer, as i have mine running stable at 3.0ghz on air.

If you have an AM2 mobo i would just wait until the new k10 phenom cores come out from AMD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom