Status
Not open for further replies.
q6600 from clubit.
search for the best price on a p35 board
get an 8800 gts 320 mb
pick out whatever case you like
get a GOOD power supply
pick up a matched pair of 1gb ddr2 800 memory
decide how much storage space you want. Buy that size hard drive from either seagate or western digital.
You can save money from searching around and buying off different vendors, but it might serve you to just buy it all from newegg or someplace because they should be able to combine shipping, and you wont have pieces coming in 1 at a time.

But. For the love of god, DO NOT BUY A DELL. Anything less than a 500 dollar machine from them is going to include refurbished parts and have a crappy warranty, read the fine print.

OK, I built the same rig on the Dell UK website (although I had to have a 500Gb HD).

price £831 including shipping and Tax

then I selected all the equivalent parts myself, much better quality than the ones dell have shown (Guaranteed G0 stepping CPU, Decent RAM, great motherboard, and my own choice of all components)

Price £630 inc. shipping and Tax
better computer = less price
take your pick

I'm sure you can find the same price difference in Canada (everythings cheaper over there anyway)

Something to consider... If you want to game, you will need a decent GFX card. GFX cards demand a lot of power. Dell uses 300W (or less) PSUs. So, buy a Dell, Buy a better GFX card, and then Buy a new, bigger PSU. And just how much money were you going to save...?

There are several here who can slap you together a parts list... even for a Canuck. ;)

Ok, i just got off the phone with the guy from a local store and i got quoted $1500ish for the rig i was thinking and this arose some more questions.
-How much benefit will i get out of teh 6400 ram over the 5400?
-Will the 8600 gt gfx card handle the newer games coming out or should i splurge and get the 8800?
-how much power will the rig need roughly?

We aren't talking about buying parts from your local store.

Parts are much cheaper at online retailers such as but not limited to newegg, zipzoomfly, chiefvalue, xiode, sundialmicro...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom