Build time! Wish me luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right on man, nice build overall.
Good idea posting on here in the process of building it, i should have done that! lol

Cheers for all the glowing reports guys!

Just got back from this weekend away :) , but to chance to test it out:( - work to do!!! arg! I'll have tomorrow evening free, though.

gurusan, I think you can twist it 90 degrees, I was thinking of doing that, but having seated it in, and screwed in the Mobo, I was in no mood to try again! maybe I'll see if its any better when I get around to wire cleanup/ plug the Zalman in.

One thing, I left it formatting over'night', i.e. about 330 am to about 630am, and before leaving, I noticed the GPU was pretty hot. Particularly in the patch on the cooler presumably over where the chip is. Now I don't know if the fan was spinning or not (I had concerns earlier, If you read), but the gpu was only doing enought to process the windows format GUI, presumably not much. Is this a problem. I'd say it was warm to hot, but easily touchable. When should the fan be on: all the time or does it just go on to cool things

How can I tell the GPU temp anyway?

Many thanks for the ongoing support- really appreciated.

I think I'll leave things installing while I work!

download ntune or rivatuner to monitor your GPU temps. the gpu will always be warm/hot to the touch...the only way to really determine if it's a problem is to monitor temps with rivatuner/ntune

OK, downloaded various things.

Coretemps (from coretemp) are sitting around 30C, that pretty good, right?

as for ntune, it says the GPU is pretty steady at 70C. Isn't that a little high?
no real loading, just sitting in windows. is this safe? GPU fan problem?

just reformatting main partition (urgh, installed windows there first, so have two installs- figured just reformatting would be the most hassle free method)

Then its just Asus drivers, and I'm ready to go.

Any ideas about the GPU??

EDIT: I went to the Nvidia control panel, performance tab, itll let me adjust the GPUclock, but all the fan adjust functions are blanked out. The fan certainly seems to not be working, but I can't adjust it from the software...

EDIT2: Tried rivatuner this time, set fan control to 100% duty cycle, and the fan is still not spinning. RMA?? maybe its not getting power? can I fix it somehow?

EDIT3: Right, I checked everything, the fan was correctly plugged in, I reseated the card, I changed the PCIe power lead, the fan moves freely, but still wont work! So I filled in an RMA form on Overclockers. I can't think what else it could be... Oh well, no kickass computer for a while longer. grrr.

Right, well I've sent an RMA request back to overclockers. Shame, though. At least it works fine at idle, so I can do all the installing of drivers etc.

Another thing that would be nice to fix is the CPU fan error.

on bootup, it unsuprisingly complains about a cpu fan error (since I have nothing plugged in there). Is there a way to get it to go away? I could just plug my 3pin fan into the CPU fan slot (I assume thats OK- it wont need the PWA pin).

Alternatively I could tell it not to complain.. Any ideas?

Right, well I've sent an RMA request back to overclockers. Shame, though. At least it works fine at idle, so I can do all the installing of drivers etc.

Another thing that would be nice to fix is the CPU fan error.

on bootup, it unsuprisingly complains about a cpu fan error (since I have nothing plugged in there). Is there a way to get it to go away? I could just plug my 3pin fan into the CPU fan slot (I assume thats OK- it wont need the PWA pin).

Alternatively I could tell it not to complain.. Any ideas?

Bummer about the GPU...but I wouldn't worry as OCuK are excellent when it comes to customer service.

As for the CPU fan error, look around in the BIOS...I forgot where but somewhere around the hardware monitoring section in the BIOS you can tell it to ignore the CPU fan error.

GPU fan should ALWAYS be spinning from the moment you press the power button, think of it like a cpu fan, you wouldnt expect that to stop spinning would you? same goes with GPU fan.
I like Everest best for checking all my pc temps.

Secondly on my pc if i dont have a fan connected the 3pin connector on my mobo ill get an error on start up with a black screen and white text, it says something like "system fan failure, please check before running this pc or it could cause serious damage!" but it gives me an option so i can boot regardless, but as said above there should be an option in BIOS that turns off fan warnings.

Gutted about the GPU though mate, never mind at least the pc is up and running, you just need a new GPU

GPU fan should ALWAYS be spinning from the moment you press the power button, think of it like a cpu fan, you wouldnt expect that to stop spinning would you? same goes with GPU fan.
I like Everest best for checking all my pc temps.

Secondly on my pc if i dont have a fan connected the 3pin connector on my mobo ill get an error on start up with a black screen and white text, it says something like "system fan failure, please check before running this pc or it could cause serious damage!" but it gives me an option so i can boot regardless, but as said above there should be an option in BIOS that turns off fan warnings.

Gutted about the GPU though mate, never mind at least the pc is up and running, you just need a new GPU

Actually the CPU fan does stop spinning..depends on the mobo and bios settings but usually once it hits 25c it stops.

Actually the CPU fan does stop spinning..depends on the mobo and bios settings but usually once it hits 25c it stops.

oh i stand corrected then! but i dont think many people will have a fan cooled pc with a cpu at below 25C! not a high spec one anyways ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom