AMD Unveils "Barcelona" Architecture

Status
Not open for further replies.
They tested only few applications in that thread ^^

In the techreport review, Xeon outperformed Barcelona in many cases. In one of the benchmarks Xeon 2.0GHz outperformed Barcelona @ 2.5Ghz
I posted those benchmarks somewhere in the thread you posted above

I want to ask you how many people use zVisuel 3D Kribi Engine or Server applications Specjbb ?

And how many people use DivX, Itunes, office applications ?

It seems that Intel beats AMD in the applications that most people use

They they tested only few applications in that thread ^^
Which, mind you, didn't include games. One of AMD's strengths.

In the techreport review, Xeon outperformed Barcelona in many cases. In one of the benchmarks Xeon 2.0GHz outperformed Barcelona @ 2.5Ghz
Still cherry picking.

Highlighting the bits where Core is ahead, and ignoring the bits where Barcelona is ahead.
I posted those benchmarks somewhere in the thread you posted above

I want to ask you how many people use zVisuel 3D Kribi Engine or Server applications Specjbb ?

How many people use WinRAR, games, POV ray?
Also, Barcelona wins in power consumption, in the review you posted.

See above.

It seems you cherry pick a lot, going out of your way to discredit K10.

Divx sucks, Itunes I don't use, and define "office applications" you mean word and excel or something?

I use Winrar constantly, and it seems Barcelona rapes intel at that.

Divx sucks, Itunes I don't use, and define "office applications" you mean word and excel or something?

Maybe thats you (or maybe you are just saying that because you hate Intel)

I'm pretty sure that much more people do video editing, and encoding than using zVisuel 3D Kribi Engine or Server applications Specjbb

I use Winrar constantly, and it seems Barcelona rapes intel at that.

But don't forget that you are comparing Barcelona to the current Xeon

The upcoming 45nm Xeon is going to perform better than the current Xeon, and they will come out on November 2007

I'd like to know how many people upgrade their processors so they can run Word, Excel etc faster...

If intel takes 50 second to compress a file with winrar, then AMD would take around 40-45 seconds.

I don't think anyone would get a heart attack if he waits for 5 or 10 extra seconds.

Also, Barcelona wins in power consumption, in the review you posted.

Wins against the current 65nm Xeon

How many people use WinRAR, games, POV ray?

I don't think many people use POV ray

For WinRaR read the above

Based on my calculations on my previous posts, Barcelona would be just around 3% faster than the current Core 2 in gaming which is negligible

Penryn is going to be around 5-10% faster than current Core 2 in gaming. So, there is no doubt that Penryn would beat Barcelona in gaming

Agena is going to have HTT3.0, but how much HTT3.0 is going to improve gaming performance ? The improvement should be at least 10% in gaming to beat Penryn. But this is unlikely to happen

And don't forget the fact that many people is not going to get the advantage of HTT3.0 because their motherboards don't support HTT3.0

And don't forget the fact that Penryn processors are going to have higher clocks than their AMD counterparts

Maybe thats you (or maybe you are just saying that because you hate Intel)
or maybe that's a lot of people's genuine opinions.

I'm pretty sure that much more people do video editing, and encoding than using zVisuel 3D Kribi Engine or Server applications Specjbb
I'm pretty sure more people use WinRAR, games, POV ray, and I'm pretty sure people like using less power.

But don't forget that you are comparing Barcelona to the current Xeon
Don't forget that reviews on Barcelona are only on early revisions, with early BIOS's, and early chipsets.
And don't forget that Agena is also coming, which will perform better than Barcelona

The upcoming 45nm Xeon is going to perform better than the current Xeon, and they will come out on November 2007
And Barcelona will have increased speeds, too.
As well as better BIOS's, better chipsets, etc.

If t intel takes 50 second to compress a file with winrar, then AMD would take around 40-45 seconds.

I don't think anyone would get a heart attack if he waits for 5 or 10 extra seconds.
This flies in the face of basically, your whole argument.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure it'd be closer to 40 seconds. given that a Xeon has to be clocked at 2.7GHZ to compare to a 2GHZ Barcelona in WinRAR.

Wins against the current 65nm Xeon
with early BIOS's, chipsets, and without much software compiled for K10 yet.

I don't think many people use POV ray
Actually, many people do.

For WinRaR read the above

Based on my calculations on my previous posts, Barcelona would be just around 3% faster than the current Core 2 in gaming which is negligible
Even though you haven't actually seen gaming benchmarks for Barcelona or Agena.

Penryn is going to be around 5-10% faster than current Core 2. So, I think Penryn would beat Barcelona in gaming
Even though you haven't actually seen gaming benchmarks for Barcelona or Agena, or any proper Penryn benchmarks for that matter.

Agena is going to have HTT3.0
and use AM2+, and use non-ECC RAM, and at DDR2-1066 speeds, which it can get more bandwith out of than Core 2 can get out of DDR3

and both K8 and K10 are affected more by memory speeds than Core 2's

but how much HTT3.0 is going to improve gaming performance ? The improvement should be at least 10% in gaming to beat Penryn. But this is unlikely to happen
As opposed to a die shrink, and an instruction set not used by all but maybe a few programs.

I think HTT 3.0, plus DDR2-1066 RAM, plus the fact that it's not ECC, plus a platform more suited for desktop applications, is going to do more.

And don't forget that fact that many people is not going to get the advantage of HTT3.0 because their motherboards don't support HTT3.0

And don't forget the fact that Penryn processors are going to have higher clocks that their AMD counterparts
At best, they'll have slightly higher clocks.

Agena is more than capable of 3GHZ. AMD has already done it, on basic air cooling.

Plus, we haven't actually seen gaming benchmarks, which Agena should be significantly better at.

And don't forget the fact that many people is not going to get the advantage of HTT3.0 because their motherboards don't support HTT3.0
But they don't have to get new motherboards. But they can get a new motherboard that does support HTT 3.0.

People will have to get new motherboards to support 1333 FSB on Intel machines.

Don't forget PCI-E 2.0, aswell.

People will have to get new motherboards to support 1333 FSB on Intel machines.

No

Most of the Intel motherboards nowadays support 1333 FSB, like P35 motherboards

The motherboards from Nvidia like nforce 680 have 1333MHz FSB support by bios update. These motherboards were out long time ago

Don't forget PCI-E 2.0, aswell.

Intel X38 are going to support PCI-E 2.0, and it will come out this month

Does AMD have any motherboard that support PCI-E 2.0 ? I think the answer is no

Anyway, I'm pretty sure it'd be closer to 40 seconds. given that a Xeon has to be clocked at 2.7GHZ to compare to a 2GHZ Barcelona in WinRAR.

But I think that the gap is going to be less when 45nm Xeon comes out

Even though you haven't actually seen gaming benchmarks for Barcelona or Agena.

For Barcelona, yes
AnandTech: AMD Phenom Preview: Barcelona Desktop Benchmarks

You said that Barcelona is better for gaming

Then you said we haven't actually seen gaming benchmarks for Barcelona

Your are contradicting yourself

As opposed to a die shrink, and an instruction set not used by all but maybe a few programs.

Then I think you don't know anything about penryn

Read this
DailyTech - Intel Sheds Light on "Penryn" Enhancements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom