Resetting CMOS taking 30 min+ ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hookster264

In Runtime
OCing is already time consuming with stability testing, but is very time consuming when clearing the CMOS takes 30 or more minutes. Why is my mobo so hard to clear?

I unplug the psu, remove the CMOS battery, and switch the jumpers to clear. Shouldn't this only take a couple minutes for it to discharge and reset the CMOS? Why does mine take so long?

Unplug power supply, press power button a few times, change jumper, plug machine in, press power button once, unplug power supply, press power button a few times, reset jumper to normal settings, replug power supply, turn computer on. You dont have to remove the battery at all if you have a cmos reset jumper.

Thanks for the tip veedubfreak, I'll try that next time. However, it looks like I now have a different problem. I was gone for about 3 hours running erands. Before I left I removed the battery and switched the jumpers. I just put it back together and started it up. I got a post, but now I'm getting an error stating the following file is missing or corrupt: <windowsroot>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe Did my OS get cleared too? Do I have to reinstall Windows XP? Will I loose my HDD data?

You SHOULD in theory just be able to boot from your windows cd and do a repair. Its also possible that the bios is trying to boot from the wrong drive, thus not seeing the windows folder. Check the bios and make sure it has the right drive as your boot device.

Aarrgghh! Now I'm getting the same error code which originally kept me from reaching post+bios screen. Code 52 error, which is the memory test.

EDIT:

I did your cmos jumper reset procedure and was able to get it to start loading windows. It got to the welcome screen, but restarted and got stuck halfway through bios testing. I performed the same jumper reset procedure again and was finally able to load windows entirely. I'm a bit concerned this is happening. Anybody have any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom