Computer CPU Processor Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
The sucky thing is that I have read that this model comes with a 939 socket, yet the processor is a 754 processor. Is that possible?

This is what it says about my motherboard:

Motherboard ID 05/13/2005-RS480-SB400-6A666M4HC-00

I am about 99% certain this is my motherboard

Yea, well that makes sense. So in the long run if I were to upgrade my motherboard, it would be smart to upgrade to one with an AM2 socket and get an AM2 processor. Correct? I think, in general, the AM2 processors are cheaper than the Opteron. I assume this is simply because they are new and that's what companies are making.

Well I apologize for all the questions...but I have a new set. Seeing as it would take more money than I have to build a new computer, I would like to try a slow upgrade which might eventually lead to a completely new computer altogether. I currently have 1 GB of RAM, and if I were to build a new computer I would go with 2 GB of RAM. So, since I want a new motherboard for a new processor, I need to get ram that is compatible with my ancient motherboard and any new one I get. I currently have motherboard. I have been looking at getting this motherboard to replace my old one. It's the same size so it ought to fit in my case. The RAM I would like is the Patriot 2GB, but I need to know if it's even compatible with my motherboard, and if so, if it's compatible with that other one I am looking at. From what I can tell it looks like it will be compatible with both motherboards, but I would like confirmation. Now after I get the RAM, I can work on getting a new motherboard and processor.

So the main question here is the RAM compatible with both motherboards? Also, would I be better off in the long run getting a bigger case so that I am not so constrained on size? I was looking at this case for a possible candidate or perhaps this one. To be honest I am not quite sure what to look for in a case or necessarily a motherboard. Anyhow, I hope I am not too much of a nuisance with these questions.

The RAM is not compatible with both motherboards. Only your current one. You need DDR2 RAM, to be compatible with the AM2 motherboard, that you chose.

So are motherboards becoming larger lately? I noticed mine is 9.6" X 9.6" and others are 12" X 8.6" If I were to build a compute I wouldn't necessarily have to get a new hard drive? Could I use the one from my old computer (with all my stuff on it). Or is there compatibility issues there as well?

Your motherboard is a Micro-ATX form factor. The 12" x 9.6" motherboards, are ATX form factors. You don't need a new hard drive, but you would have to reinstall Windows, when you install the new motherboard.

Ok...I am trying to see what I wouldn't have to get for a new computer to try and get an idea how much building one would cost. And could I also use the cd drives from my old computer? It's looking like it will be impossible to upgrade this one, at least to anything that I want (which is what was said earlier in the thread), so I would just like to get an idea on what I would need. So, which type of motherboards are better?

Ok. Thank you for all the help. And for the Gigabyte motherboard I will need a new case. I am not sure what a good case would be for around $100. I would like to get a new case, however, that was any future upgrades won't be constrained by space. Yes it will be bigger, but I can easily live with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom