PSU driving me nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anzacky

Solid State Member
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie when it comes to building and repairing pcs except for installing ram and gfx cards, and yesterday I bought a new PSU as I was having trouble with my old one. Anyways so I took the old one out carefully, installed the new one, as far as I know I think I got it right. When the moment of truth came I switched everything on and noticed the keyboard lights flash as they usually do (capslock and numlock) but when I switched the power button, NOTHING. No fan, no boot, no angels singin. Anyone have any idea? Please help.

Anzacky
Welcome-to-TF.png

So absolutely nothing happens, when you press the power button? Well first of all, you really have to make sure and double check, that the connections are correct and tight. And you have to make sure the front panel wires are connected properly, especially the POWER SW wire. If that's not properly connected, the system won't boot up.

The power button on the front panel was working fine before i put the new psu in. As for the connections being tight i've checked and double checked them. I don't think the psu is dodgy as there is power getting to the keyboard or am I wrong about that?

But when you turned the computer on, did any fans spin? Like the power supply fan, or CPU fan?

Try jumping the power supply, to see if it's defective.

To jump the power supply, disconnect it from the components, and just connect the case fans. Also disconnect the power cord from the outlet, and turn off the power supply button. Take a paper clip, and bend it into a U shape. Next, stick one end into the green pin or wire of the 24-pin main power connector. Then stick the other end into any black pin or wire, on the main power connector. Then turn on the power supply, to see if the fans spin. If they don't, something is wrong with the power supply.

One thing that was concerning me was the psu says its a SATA psu, now i'm pretty sure that my hard drives are SATA but in my bios it was saying not enough drives for a raid array, is this relevant? if my HD are ide is this a factor? Will try the paper clip trick though.

The RAID array isn't relevant to this issue, since it looks like you're not trying to set that up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom