How well does an AMD x2 4200 overclock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Havent got a clue where to start and what programmes to download!
Never ever oc'ed in my life!

hmm ok i know how to go into the bios, what exactly do i do once im in there?

Hey i told you im a noob when it comes to overclocking!

Will it just say "NO" kinda thing if im asking too much of it? or will everything just go pear shaped ?

Google = your friend

you adjust the multiplier if you can (amd's after week 39 or 339 or w/e are locked) to the highest it can go and then adjust the FSB accordingly

The clock speed will be the multiplier x front side bus

UPDATE:

decided to oc my 4200 more so my 8800 gts would be able to reach higher fps'

I got to 2662 MHZ with a 100% load on both cores at 66 C max which is decent since 73 is terminal temperature, leaving the proccesor on 24/7 will probably overheat, but I don't so thats ok. The VCORE is at 1.420

I tried going to 2706 MHZ with a 1.420 VCORE, but it gets an error in the PRIME95 torture test so I raised the VCORE to 1.450 but then I got the BSOD when it reached 30 seconds into max temperature so I backed it down a bit

I use the Scythe Ninja Plus Rev. B heatsink with the stock 120 mm fa which runs a 1200 RPM, so you can probably get a bit better then me

btw. I have the Windsor CPU

i was able to run my 4200 windsor rock stable at 2.75, could get it to boot at 2.9...i was just amazed that it would even lauch windows at that speed.

i was able to run my 4200 windsor rock stable at 2.75, could get it to boot at 2.9...i was just amazed that it would even lauch windows at that speed.

what settings?

what heatsink?

the reason I can't get that high is because I need to up the voltage and I can't without burning out the CPU

well... I got a BSOD from reaching critcal temperatures as the proccesor reached 73 C which is the terminal temperature

I'm currently running 11x multi with a 226 FSB, 1.420 VCORE

hmm lets see, its been awhile since i have had that cpu in my box...
well, the HTT was 250 with multi at 11.
the HT multi was at x4.
the ram was probably set to ddr2 667 in bios, maybe ddr2 533 for stability testing.
i know my vcore wasnt over 1.45, i had to run it at 1.525 to reach 2.9 though (and boot at least). you are probably right about having to up the voltage.
i have a zalman 9500.

your temps are awefully high. When I had my 4400x2 air cooled on a Zalman CNPS9500 I was able to clock it to 2.86ghz and temps never were above 55c or so. This was on 1.5vcore if I remember correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom