Computer CPU Processor Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
nope the overclocking options generally arnt locked they'er just not there

However, if I were to buy a motherboard off of Newegg or some other site, then would those options be there? I would also need to reinstall Windows, not to mention the added cost of the motherboard. I think I will go with either the Opteron 175 or 180. I know it's not the best bang for the buck, but considering I won't be able to overclock, the extra price will probably be worth it.

However, if I were to buy a motherboard off of Newegg or some other site, then would those options be there?

Yes...

Ithryndil said:
I would also need to reinstall Windows, not to mention the added cost of the motherboard. I think I will go with either the Opteron 175 or 180. I know it's not the best bang for the buck, but considering I won't be able to overclock, the extra price will probably be worth it.

If you're looking into a motherboard that can overclock, why not get the Opetron 165? That will save you some money.

Well, I'd prefer to stay away from getting a new motherboard simply because I don't know anyone with Windows XP Media Edition nor do I want to spend the money to buy it. I am not trying to be picky, but when money is an issue, you tend to have to limit what you buy yourself. And, if I were to overclock the processor, wouldn't that shorten it's life? I don't know what the average life expectancy of a processor is.

Well, I'd prefer to stay away from getting a new motherboard simply because I don't know anyone with Windows XP Media Edition nor do I want to spend the money to buy it. I am not trying to be picky, but when money is an issue, you tend to have to limit what you buy yourself. And, if I were to overclock the processor, wouldn't that shorten it's life? I don't know what the average life expectancy of a processor is.

The average lifespan of a CPU is about 10 years. Overclocking takes off barely 1-2 years. And I doubt you'll be using the same CPU for more than 5 years. So really, it's no big deal. Just about everyone here, overclocks.

That makes since. Well this wouldn't be an issue if I didn't have to reinstall Windows. Not to mention I am not sure what a good motherboard would be for my situation. And then if I do get a motherboard why not get an AM2 mother board and go with a processor for that? Aside from price that is. It's slightly frustrating that my computer didn't come with a Windows CD. I understand why they do that, to force people to buy a CD and spend more money.

Well...I suppose I have bad news for myself. After making sure what socket type I have, it appears I can't get any of the Opteron processors. Everest Home Edition says I have a socket 754...

wow... thats even worse... rofl...

what you do now... stick with what you have... and rebuild once you get more cash...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom