Computer CPU Processor Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the video card I have was good at the time. It's a GeForce 6800GS.

Edit: I thought that the Opteron processors I briefly glanced at weren't as good as the one I have, but that's only because I failed to notice that they are dual cored. So I might be perfectly satisfied with upgrading to one of those. Thank you all for your help.

Ok, I think this will be my last set of questions for awhile.

I currently have: AMD Athlon 64 3400+ / 2.4 GHz
That's all I know about my processor. I was wondering how my processor compares with:
Processor 1
Processor 2
Prcoessor 3

Obviously the dual-core processors should multi task better. However, I was wondering if I got one of the previously mentioned dual core processors, would games that rely on a single core processor perform worse? I will also assume that games that allow for dual core processing will run better on a dual core processor. Thanks for the info.

Those dual cores would serve a better purpose, even if you were just playing games that are single threaded. The 3400+ might perform a little better, but it's something you won't even notice. And games that will be multi-threaded to support more cores, will of course run better.

well he can't overclock... so he'll have to take the best bang for the buck out of those 3.. i'm gonna say.. Opteron 170

Hmm. Is it something physical or is there some program out there that might allow overclocking. What exactly do you mean "give overclocking options?"

Hmm. Is it something physical or is there some program out there that might allow overclocking. What exactly do you mean "give overclocking options?"

Not physical. It's just that pre-built companies, such as eMachine, lock their motherboard BIOSes from overclocking.

Oh...And there is no way to unlock the motherboard from that, aside from buying a new motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom