What have I done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IKE24

Beta member
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I have a one year old packard bell pc which wasn't powerful enough to play bioshock, so I purchased a new graphics card. However, the graphics card wouldn't work unless I invested in a new psu unit, so I bought one of those too. The PSU unit is too big to fit into my packard bell case so one trip to PC World later and I have a bigger case. (While I was there I spent heavy on a hard drive, sound card and speakers too).

So then I set about transferring the hardware from old case to new case. I've never done anything like this before in my life but was pretty confident that everything was screwed in correctly and would work.

So I switch on and nothing happens apart from the green led broadband LAN thing flashing. Looked at a website for help and found this "under no circumstances must the motherboard touch the metal casing otherwise a short circuit thing would occur."

s**t

Look at the Packard Bell case to find these things that keep the motherboard from touching the metal and I'm pretty certain this PC world budget case doesn't have them.

Am I screwed?

If it's just the motherboard I've knackered up I could honestly live with that. But if it's the whole god **** system. F***K **** IT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Is it possible I've just not plugged something in correctly? hard drive maybe?

Cheers all.

Hey IKE24
Welcome-to-TF.png

The things you were referring to in the Packard Bell, that keeps the motherboard from touching the metal are called standoff screws.

Just take them off the Packard Bell, and use them in the new case.

It's probably not turning on, because the motherboard in the new case, is touching the metal, causing it to short out.

And once you get that done, gargle with some soapy water. Does your mother know you use words like that? Geez!

Hey IKE24
Welcome-to-TF.png

The things you were referring to in the Packard Bell, that keeps the motherboard from touching the metal are called standoff screws.

Just take them off the Packard Bell, and use them in the new case.

It's probably not turning on, because the motherboard in the new case, is touching the metal, causing it to short out.

Thanks for your help. Got it to work.

sorry to butt in but when you dont use standoffs does that fry your mobo or does it just not work as its touching the mobo tray?

From what I saw with those issues with other people, it just doesn't work. I don't think it fries the motherboard. It just shorts it out.

When my friend and I were building his computer, that was the problem. He didn't use standoffs, so the mobo was touching the metal of the case. It was the last thing we expected, but it was the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom