Hey guys just arrived at the dorm, quick question. Networking Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinoy3000

Daemon Poster
Okay, I arrived at my dorm like 12 hours ago hehe :D

But I put my computer together and then had troubles connecting to the network in the school.

But I finally got it to work. Just did some minor command prompts and disable and enable device.

But the problem is, I tried doing the same thing with my roommate's computer. He has windows vista 64-Bit but for some reason, he's computer wont connect to the internet. It shows that its connected to a "Local Network" but not to the Internet. We tried several things, even enabled and disabled his network device and what not.

Any ideas on what might be causing this?

Also, I got Windows Office 2007 Professional for only $75.00, $80.00 with tax and stuff. But its hella cheap. I can install it to up to three computers too!!!

Anyway, back to the problem. It seems like the network here in school is having issues. A lot of people are having troubles connecting their computer to the network but my computer connected fine. Well, of course it has two Ethernet Ports, the first one didnt work, but the second one did. The first Ethernet port was giving the same issues my roommates are getting, so I switched it to the second port and it worked fine.

If your trying to connect wirelessly, a lot of times you have to set it up via ethernet connection and download a special packet to install so that wireless will work, just a precaution that people won't just come around and steal internet and so they can monitor your usage.

Ask the school how to set it up...

The problem is out of your hands. It's simply a problem between the access point he's on and the internet service device (T1 Modem ect). Just wait it out, if others are having troubles then their techies will find the problem and nuke it.

i haven't been to college in a long time, but i would think that there may be like a WEP key (a security key) that you had to enter in order for your wireless to work.
i have no idea how your school is set up, but thats how i set up my office's small network. basically so no one can walk by and connect to your network (therby having access to all shared computers in said network).
dont you have an RA? thats what they are there for, to answer your questions. and to keep you from burning your dorm down.

Ye, well I can connect online but they cant. Not sure whats wrong but when I change the connection from say one of the Ethernet ports, it does the same thing as theirs would. So it seems like only one of the four ethernet ports are working and mine is connected to the working one. But when I connect theirs to the one I have, they get the same issue and windows says there is an IP Address something, interference or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom