Computer CPU Processor Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, that makes since, however the PSU I currently have in my computer did not come with my computer. I bought it after the fact, which is why I am slightly frustrated that it won't work with a new motherboard that can support Socket AM2 processors.

Who said that? That Antec True Power Trio is compatible with an AM2 system.

I won't necessarily say that he said that. He could have simply missed the fact that in my first post I added the PSU that I had. I don't think I made it clear that I upgraded to that particular PSU. I assume that he was referring to the PSU that came with my computer. Anyhow, that's a relief to find out. So another couple of questions:

1. As long as I find a motherboard that has a Socket AM2 in it, I should be able to buy any of those processors and be fine, correct?
2. This might be dumb, but if I get a new motherboard, will I still have all my programs and information, etc. I won't need to reinstall Windows will I?

Thanks again for the help.

That was my initial thought. And as long as I get a motherboard with a Socket AM2, then I can get an AM2 processor. Makes sense. But in the end it might be more beneficial to buy a new computer. Choices.

Whenever you change the motherboard, you have to reinstall Windows, because your previous Windows installation on the hard drive, is tied to that eMachine.

edit: oh ok...

Ok...not too big of a problem, but my computer never came with a Windows XP disc, how would I go about reinstalling Windows without the disc. Would I have to try and find a copy of Windows XP somewhere?

Try and borrow an XP CD from a friend, and use the same key from your emachines. The CD has to be the same exact version of XP, that you have.

Or if that doesn't work, buy an OEM XP CD. They're not expensive. XP Home w/SP2 OEM is about $90.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom