First PC Build...please help..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazydog115

Baseband Member
I finally got around to buying a new computer.

Now, Ive hooked it up mostly..but the problem I seem to be having is hooking the case, motherboard, and PSU together.

I think I got most of it, but the computer won't turn on.....

I think I can hear the PSU get power when I plug it in, but the power button won't work.

My digital camera is in my brother's car, so here's some pix taken w/ my phone...excuse the quality.

ATX cable all hooked up...
0914071556oi3.jpg

Front audio, and a bunch of one-pin cables that I have no idea what they're for.
0914071556afi7.jpg

Case Cables:
0914071555je9.jpg

Items being used:
Cooler Master CAC-T05-UW

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L

Cooler Master RP-550-PCAR

The front audio and one pin cables, is for the audio obviously. And they should plug into the 10-pin audio port on your motherboard. Refer to your motherboard manual, for the location of the audio port.

It maybe, that it's not turning on, because you have the case wires connected wrong. Make sure they're connected properly, especially the power sw cable. Again, the motherboard manual should explain this.

When you turn it on, do any lights go on? Or do any fans spin?

No lights, no fans.
I have a 9 pin F_AUDIO cable plugged in.
I put the SW cable in the correct spot, according to both manuals, even tried flipping it around, didn't help.

DO you think the PSU/mobo was DOA?

Try jumping the power supply, to see if it's defective.

To jump the power supply, disconnect it from the components, and just connect the case fans. Also disconnect the power cord from the outlet, and turn off the power supply button. Take a paper clip, and bend it into a U shape. Next, stick one end into the green pin or wire of the 24-pin main power connector. Then stick the other end into any black pin or wire, on the main power connector. Then turn on the power supply, to see if the fans spin. If they don't, something is wrong with the power supply.

There should be little 2 wired wires coming from the case that you need to plug in the MoBo. They are the power LED, HDD LED, and Power Switch.

The power LED is 2 1-pin cables. The Other are 2-pin cables, all plugged in correctly according to the manuals.

I have a paper clip in the green pin and in a black one...turned on PSU, fans turned on...what now?
What's the easiest way to see if the Mobo is accepting power?

Usually the motherboard would have a green LED light somewhere, that would light up if it's receiving power.

Just double check, to make sure every connection is right.

So when you have all the components connected, and you say it doesn't turn on. What exactly doesn't turn on?

I'm going to ask some very stupid questions here:

I'm assuming you have the CPU in and the HSF (heat sink fan) plugged in. Do you have the fan hooked to the right connect? (That will stop power on some boards.

do you have the RAM in the right slot? (as per the mobo manual?) Shouldn't make a difference here, but you never know....

do you have the right amount of mobo riser in place? (the pins you added to the case, before you screwed the mobo in place... having one or more in the wrong place can short out your mobo (not damage, but cause a no power issue)

does the PSU have a 110/220 switch? (the right setting?)

What's your complete system specs? (to help us... help you..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom