Riva tuner question

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_vdende

Solid State Member
Hi, I recently bought a new gpu; a GeForce 8800 GTS 640mb. I've played several games with it and I thought I would be able crank the graphical settings on all my games to the max and not lose any fps; well not as much as I would with my old card :p. Anyway to go with that card I got some 2GB PC6400 ram. The only thing thats sort of bad on my pc is the processor which is a AMD 3800 X2. Whenever I crank up the Anti aliasing levels on my PC all my games take major hits in their fps. For a while I've been thinking that it was because AA is calculated by my processor that it went so slow, but I also thought that the processor was only really concerned with loading and calculating certain other aspects of the software, with no real influence on the FPS of a game. Anyway I installed riva tuner and I got the following message:

$000000000f PCIE link width : 16x supported, 8x selected

Is this something that is hampering my gpu from processing at its normal speed? I've treid looking in the BIOS but there was no option to change my PCIe slot to 16x. Anyone know what I can do? I've been planning on buying a new processor anyway, but if the problem is not the processor what is?

Thanks for any help,

Conrad.

My guess is that your board only supports pci-e 8x while the card is 16x. That cpu is probably also a pretty decent bottleneck in the games.

your mobo is deff 16x, a dual core socket mobo wouldnt have a slower PCI-I interface, and it says so on that site

I should be able to change it in the BIOS right? I spent some time searching and some epople mentioned you could change it in the nVidia control panel; but I have no idea where to look for options like that.

yeah i would think so, download CPUz and it says on one of the tabs

I downloaded it; and under graphics intreface it says link width x8 max supported x16. Is there anyway I can use cpuz to change it? or is cpuz just for diagnostics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom