1600 Fsb

Status
Not open for further replies.

ag3

Fully Optimized
There is this mobo I am looking at for the AMD64. It says "800 Mhz FSB". The AMD64 is 1600 Mhz, so I asked why the mobo only supports half, if it is the best one they carry.

He told me that it is 800 Mhz for CPU and 800 Mhz for RAM. Combined it is 1600 Mhz... Is there any truth to this? Does this guy even know what he is talking about?

the "FSB" or front side bus is the speed at which information moves around the motherboard from component to component (800 MHz is a measurment of time). the processor uses the same internal clock as the bus except runs at a multiple of the bus speed (usually 2-3x). The processor can do one calculation per cycle, however it usually does more than one calculation on any given piece of data, therefore the processor can go through more cycles in a given amount of time without waiting for more data.

800MHz is a pretty fast bus, I wouldn't worry about it.

I cant find ONE motherboard for socket 754 that says that is supports 1600 Mhz FSB. They all say 800 Mhz. Why?

Every AMD64 chip is 1600 Mhz FSB!...! So why does not one motherboard say that it supports it?

I am assuming that they have tried to make it 1600MHz supported, but it got fried or something when they tested it or something. Socket 754 sux now anyway, probably should go 940 or 939

I would... But I am going to use 754 until the 939/940s get cheaper... And when PCI-Express is released!

The thing I dislike about 754 is the inability to use dual-channel memory. Other than that, I love my Athlon 64 3200+.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom