Xp wont boot after ram upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

quantafac

Beta member
I just recently got 2gb(1gbx2) of ram to replace my 1g(512x2), Motherboard Asus P5GD1, after installing the new memory the pc will boot and the motherboard detects the new memory properly (the entire 2 gigs) and both memory is the same speed PC3200 400mhz, but when windows tries to load I get nothing, no boot screen no logon, just a blank screen. The video card appears to still be active since the screen is black but hasnt gone to sleep mode. I have tried 1 at a time and tried using different slots on the motherboard, as far as I can see there is no setting in the bios for the new memory. I reinstalled my old memory and everything works perfect, any ideas what is going on???

Hey quantafac
Welcome-to-TF.png

hmm...It maybe that the new sticks are defective. To test it out, run memtest86. Download the iso from their site, and burn it to a CD as a bootable. Boot off it, and the test should start immediately. Run it for maybe a couple of hours, and if errors pop up, then you got defective memory.

thanks for the advice, I tried it and didnt have to wait long, once the program started it filled with errors and locked up, looks like I got some bad memory.

Thanks for your help:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom