I need a DVD drive...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazeD

Fully Optimized
I'm finally gonna have to break down and get a DVD drive. I might as well get a CD/DVD burner.

Can anyone explain to me what DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD-R, and DVD-RW mean?

Thanks.

DVD+/-RW are rewritable. So you can write or burn, and you can erase. While the DVD+/-R, you cannot rewrite.

As for the minus and plus sign. From what I see, the + is compatible with the newer DVD players and such. While the - is compatible with more DVD players, with older DVD player models.
The + though, is less prone to errors and interference during the burning process. And the + is more accurate for high speed.

I would suggest this DVD burner:
Newegg.com - Sony NEC Optiarc Black 18X DVD+R 6X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 18X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 18X DVD±R DVD Burner, OEM Version - OEM

I have this one, and it works great. Not a single problem. And it's SATA.

just differrent formats. Just get dual format drive and you can burn to any type of disk. If you want to do dual layer disks then get a dual layer dual formal drive. I have noticed that some dvd players (for your tv) prefer a - or + format so it is nice to be able to burn in both formats.

DVD+/-RW are rewritable. So you can write or burn, and you can erase. While the DVD+/-R, you cannot rewrite.

As for the minus and plus sign. From what I see, the + is compatible with the newer DVD players and such. While the - is compatible with more DVD players, with older DVD player models.
The + though, is less prone to errors and interference during the burning process. And the + is more accurate for high speed.

I would suggest this DVD burner:
Newegg.com - Sony NEC Optiarc Black 18X DVD+R 6X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 18X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 18X DVD±R DVD Burner, OEM Version - OEM

I have this one, and it works great. Not a single problem. And it's SATA.

I was looking at this one: Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write - OEM

Which one is better? It's the same price.

EDIT: By the way do you have any problems booting from CD's/DVD's, with it being SATA?

Any good brand DVD burner will do. Such as Sony NEC Optiarc, Samsung, Pioneer, Lite-On, LG...

There is no problems at all, with the DVD burner being SATA, in terms of booting with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom