Need help with a build..

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattsesar

Baseband Member
Hey guys..

I was hoping you could help me out with something. I'm looking to build (buy) a high-end system that can run advanced games like Crysis, World At War, etc., but still be fairly quiet.

I built my current system a few years ago and have had problems with heat, CPU crashes, and noise so I'm a little nervous about building my system again. I'd prefer it if I could buy a pre-built system or if someone could recommend someplace I could take my components to be assembled.

Oh, and when I say quiet, I mean something quiet enough that I can leave it running a few feet from my bed when I sleep at night. And I'm not a big fan of the colored LEDs and all of that, so if you can recommend a case that doesn't come along with that, that'd be awesome.

PS: My budget is somewhere around $2000.00, maybe a little higher or lower depending on what I can get for the price.

Hey mattsesar
Welcome-to-TF.png

For that amount of money, you can build a way better system, than what you get at pre-built places.

I strongly suggest building your own, with that kind of budget. If you're nervous about it, just ask us. We're your free technical support.

Here are the parts I would suggest:

Case - Antec P180Bhttp://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=140138 or Your choice...
Motherboard - ASUS P5K Deluxe
CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz (From ClubIT.com)
RAM - 2 x 1GB Patriot Extreme Performance DDR2-800
Graphics - XFX 8800Ultra 768MB (From zipzoomfly.com)
Power Supply - PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610w (From pcpower.com)
Hard Drive - Western Digital Caviar SE16 750GB
Optical Drive - Sony NEC Optiarc DVD Burner
Optional Aftermarket HSF - Tuniq 120 (From svc.com)

This list, comes in around $1700-1800+

Since you already have building experience, you have no worries. Today's builds includes aftermarket heatsinks so they cool better and are more quiet.

As you may have seen, the hot CPU today is the Core 2 Duo and the Core 2 Quad. For this build, I'd say ypu get a q6600 from Clubit.com

Many people today are grabbing more memory because they are so cheap. You should grab 2GB (2 x 1GB) Crucial Ballistixs DDR800, gskills HZ's DDR800, or even some Geil DDR800 from Newegg or other places.

With 2k, you might really want to consider a high end graphics card. You can first start off with a eVGA 8800gts and move on to an 8800gtx if you feel the need.

First off, 2000 is way more than enough. Are we talking just the system itself or do you need a monitor, etc...

Plus, if you do a pre-built system the computer gods will hire the boogeyman to come and take your soul....don't even think about it. What I have below cost me 1300 bucks. You could swap out my RAM with some G.Skill HZ's or better yet Crucial Ballistix. PSU - everyone will tell you Corsair 520HZ or 620 (personally I like to have the extra power just in case). As far as the case is concerned, if you don't want LED's then don't do the antec 900 (but it's great for cooling) You could but you'd have to swap out three of the 120mm fans for non LED ones - not that big a deal. HSF, another option to swap is the Thermalright Ultra 120 with some MX-1 or MX-2 paste. Definitely get a Q6600 with G0 stepping. Read up on the other bajillion posts, there's plenty of good recommendations on this site.

Hey mattsesar
Welcome-to-TF.png

For that amount of money, you can build a way better system, than what you get at pre-built places.

I strongly suggest building your own, with that kind of budget. If you're nervous about it, just ask us. We're your free technical support.

Here are the parts I would suggest:

Case - Antec P180Bhttp://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=140138 or Your choice...
Motherboard - ASUS P5K Deluxe
CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz (From ClubIT.com)
RAM - 2 x 1GB Patriot Extreme Performance DDR2-800
Graphics - XFX 8800Ultra 768MB (From zipzoomfly.com)
Power Supply - PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610w (From zipzoomfly.com)
Hard Drive - Western Digital Caviar SE16 750GB
Optical Drive - Sony NEC Optiarc DVD Burner
Optional Aftermarket HSF - Tuniq 120 (From svc.com)

This list, comes in around $1700-1800+

very nice b1gapl... but you forgot about getting the PSU Driect from PC Power and Cooling for 129$ shipped... but otherwise perfect build :)

Yea...I didn't realize until yesterday, that it was cheaper from their site. And I've forgotten to change my links. I changed the link, just now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom