2.0GHZ Barcelona benchmarks released

Status
Not open for further replies.
vernong1992: AMD need to be a top line competitor again thats for sure, I hope Barcelona scales well because AMD really need to get a grip again in the server market, at the moment the only thing apart from speculation about scaling ability that barcelona has going for it is dubious performance/watt ratings that AMD have conveniently made up a new standard for just to muddy the waters. If barcelona doesnt scale better than the new xeons in multi-way server applications then AMD's bottom line for the foreseeable future is bad, and thats something no-body wants.

vernong1992: AMD need to be a top line competitor again thats for sure, I hope Barcelona scales well because AMD really need to get a grip again in the server market, at the moment the only thing apart from speculation about scaling ability that barcelona has going for it is dubious performance/watt ratings that AMD have conveniently made up a new standard for just to muddy the waters. If barcelona doesnt scale better than the new xeons in multi-way server applications then AMD's bottom line for the foreseeable future is bad, and thats something no-body wants.
Barcelona scales very well when you start adding CPU cores to systems.
A lot of this is to do with HyperTransport, and the fact that their quad cores are all on one die, whereas Xeon is restricted by their FSB and two dies per chip

Admittedly, the Opterons are being held back by slower memory

From what I've seen thus far, it seems like Intel will remain the gaming king, as AMD pushes for the server/business class.

Barcelona is the server chips. Let's wait and see what the desktop chips can do before we pass judgement.

From what I've seen thus far, it seems like Intel will remain the gaming king, as AMD pushes for the server/business class.
we haven't even seen game benchmarks yet.

I would expect gaming to be one of the stronger points of the architecture.
Barcelona already has an advantage in performance per clock. That's with no HTT 3.0, and with slower DDR2-667 ECC memory.

we haven't even seen game benchmarks yet.

I would expect gaming to be one of the stronger points of the architecture.
Barcelona already has an advantage in performance per clock. That's with no HTT 3.0, and with slower DDR2-667 ECC memory.

Well the problem I'm seeing is the overall slow clock speeds. Yes they are faster per clock than Intel (15% faster roughly?...which is about a 50% increase over the current AMD's = wow) but at the predicted prices, its really quite expensive, especially considering none of them come close to Intel's overall performance, yet the price of performance is through the roof? (Server class....I know. More $ for less speed, but still....)

They need to actually BEAT Intel's 3.0GHz beast (It would have to be a +2.6GHz Barcelona)

To beat even the Q6600 (2.4GHz) you'd need a 2.1GHz, which on this price scaling would be insanely expensive.

All we can hope is that the DDR2 667 is largely suspect, and that the desktop series will be faster, and cheaper. If AMD can actually MATCH (price AND performance) of their desktop line to that of Intel's quad-core lineup, we have something of major significance.

Well the problem I'm seeing is the overall slow clock speeds. Yes they are faster per clock than Intel (15% faster roughly?...which is about a 50% increase over the current AMD's = wow) but at the predicted prices, its really quite expensive, especially considering none of them come close to Intel's overall performance, yet the price of performance is through the roof? (Server class....I know. More $ for less speed, but still....)

They need to actually BEAT Intel's 3.0GHz beast (It would have to be a +2.6GHz Barcelona)

To beat even the Q6600 (2.4GHz) you'd need a 2.1GHz, which on this price scaling would be insanely expensive.

All we can hope is that the DDR2 667 is largely suspect, and that the desktop series will be faster, and cheaper. If AMD can actually MATCH (price AND performance) of their desktop line to that of Intel's quad-core lineup, we have something of major significance.
Firstly, this is only the initial release. The clock speeds are going to be ramped up quite quickly in the coming months

Secondly, the reason the price is high for these processors, is because they are made for multi-socket boards.
Just like the Opteron 2xx and 8xx processors used to be expensive, because they were made for multi-processor boards.

I don't think that Barcelona is faster than the current Core 2 Quad per clock in desktop applications. Yes in server it is slightly faster but not in desktop

Just look at the benchmark comparison between K10 and K8 in gaming and desktop applications from here
AnandTech: AMD Phenom Preview: Barcelona Desktop Benchmarks

The difference is not so huge

The current Core 2 might beat it in desktop. Not to mention that the 45nm Core 2 is going to be slightly faster than the current Core 2 per clock

But as Trotter said let us wait before we pass a judgment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom