User Accounts -- OK To Delete ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrlewp

Baseband Member
Googled how to stop Log-On screen for WXP, which began following removal of "LogMeIn" app.
One site (unknown to me now), offered 4 steps to take, the 3rd which involved deleting all folders under "Doc-Settings", OTHER THAN the folder (or folders) which you know to be valid users. In my case , "OWNER" is the name I chose when 1st setting up WinXP Home.
Is this safe? Other folders found there are "Default User", "Local Service","All Users", and "Network Service".
The site said to first save any data from the folders you considered important. In the past I have noticed that some of my START menu items that I added would end up in "All Users" instead of "Owner". I can just check to see that all shortcuts are duplicated in my "Owner" folder.....but can I really get rid of all the other folders??
I dont know what the purpose of the Network and Local Service folders is, so I'm not sure about this step.!
I got rid of the log-on screen using just steps 1,2,and 4 of the instructions, by the way.

If you just want the log on screen to be disabled and th windos Xp to go irectly into Desktop with out any prompt asking you to select User name try below steps.

Start -> Run... -> control userpasswords2

Uncheck the "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer" checkbox. Enter the username and password to be used for the login, and press OK, OK.

If you want welcome screen go to Control Panel >> User accounts
Select the way users log on and log off and Check the option for welcome screen and fast user Switching. this will bring the Welcome scren back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom