o/c 8800gts

Status
Not open for further replies.
For some reason my 8800GTS runs very cool....about 49c-51c idle with the fan on 60%....and about 64-66 under full load (geoforms/rthdribl)....this is when is overclocked to 648/1027

When i have my fan at 60 which i think is default.
My idle is at 66, and thats really high. I have to have the fan at 100 to get it around 58-60.

I dont know if this is my case or the airflow in my case.
The case that i have is on my sig, its the cooler master 534.
I have 1x120 ON THE exhaust, one on the side so its blowing air right into the card and one the front which is for the hdd.

Am I doing anything wrong here?

I'm not really sure how much difference the AS5 made as i changed the case setup at the same time. I do know going from my old case, to AS5 and an antec 900 with a 120mm fan blowing directly on the video card my temps came down close to 20C. Btw i have the EVGA superclocked edition also, i just bumped it up a bit more than they did.

I have the evga super clocked edition too.
When i had my old case with a 120 fan blowing right at the card, the cards temps idled at 48-52 (case open)

With this new case its worse, the temps in my room are about 60-70 since its starting to get cold now.

When i put my fan to 100% the temps idled at 59.
I know this is really high so im thinking of returning this case and getting one with better cooling.

The antec 900 works really well, it has the 2 120mm fans, and a spot for a third 120mm fan right in front of the video card.

well if i retrurn my case i gotta take everything out...and thats gonna be a pain.
i have to find everything that came with it....i think im gonna figure out the airflow and find out what im doing wrong.

well if you wanna safely oc your gpu. Use riva tuner, ati tool or ntune.
For xp ati tool works the best.
Increase the core and men by about 5-10 increments and then stress test for about 10-20 mins. Keep doing this untill you get an error, you see glitches. If you get an error drop down 5 increments and try testing again.

Once youthink its stable, run 3dmark06 and check if you see any glitches or if it freezed.
Check to see if the score increased and the performance increased too.

I barely oced my 8800GTS 320mb 600/800 and I got a pretty decent increase in my 3D06 score. My specs are not as high as yours and I still get 9314.

As for the temperatures, whatever happened to the good old days when everyone ran their oced cards at 70+ degrees. GPUs aren't like CPUs, they could run at a much higher temperature. It's no big deal. If you're getting temps higher than 80 degrees, you should start worrying, GPUs have thresholds higher than 100 degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom