Very rare hangups, with monitor losing signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

elvez

Baseband Member
It's been almost 3 months since I built my brand-new PC, and I'm pretty satisfied with it.
Though yesterday, for the third time in three months, while playing Word Of Warcraft, the monitor shut off, and from the repeating sounds heard through the speakers I could also tell that Windows was crashed.
I'm thinking about a slightly faulty graphics card, but I'm not going to RMA it without being sure it's faulty, given I don't have any replacement to use in the meantime.
What do you think will be the best troubleshooting strategy? Given the rarity of the crashes it may take ages to go by exclusion by attempting to replace VGA, PSU, memory or other components and see if it stops crashing.
Maybe there's a possibility of a buggy driver or BIOS, though I'm using the latest stable versions available at the time I built the machine.
The specs are on my signature, thanks for any reply.

I don't have onboard VGA, that's why i said i don't have any replacement in case I RMA the GeForce. My old VGAs are all AGP.

downlaod the latest BETA drivers BETA Drivers by

I had problems like this the display driver would crash and the monitor would report no signal or sometimes you wouldnt see driver crash it would just say no signal ... formatting and installing vista fixed it for me :)

downlaod the latest BETA drivers BETA Drivers by

I had problems like this the display driver would crash and the monitor would report no signal or sometimes you wouldnt see driver crash it would just say no signal ... formatting and installing vista fixed it for me :)

Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try.

Update windows, I don't think the new .Net frameworks are downloaded automatically but they are important.

Also run MemTest.
I forget the full name and I don't know the link off hand but a quick google search will turn it up.

Update windows, I don't think the new .Net frameworks are downloaded automatically but they are important.

Also run MemTest.
I forget the full name and I don't know the link off hand but a quick google search will turn it up.

I'll try to do this too, i should be able to test the memory soon, updating Windows is a pain for me given I'm still forced on a dial-up connection, but I'll see if my friend can download the latest .Net framework, then I'll try to update.

After 5 hours and 14 passes of memtest there still was no error, so the memory seems to be fine.
I also installed the beta nvidia driver, now let's wait some week and see if it still crashes! XD

It happened again, this time during normal computer use, not gaming.
Though this time the monitor did not shut off, instead it was "white", displaying only that color on every pixel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom