How scaed have you been?

Status
Not open for further replies.
once, I accidentally unplugged the molex cable from an IDE hard drive while the computer was running (I think I was trying to install a fan or something - which you can actually do while the computer is running)
the computer just froze.

When I turned it back on, it turned out the hard drive worked fine.

i posted a software scare before, so sorry about not following the topic, so i'll make up for it with a hardware scare. Wen i was younger, just starting to get into computers, i took the processor from one packard bell (yup, i said packard bell) which was a 133 MHz pentium, and moved it to an older computer that originally had a 100 MHz in it, figured i could speed it up. Yea, i sped up its life expectancy, i hit the power button (which was the old AT power supply with the hard-wired power button) it made some noise, nothing came on the screen so i was looking behind the monitor and whatnot, not paying attention to the tower, smelled something, and the tower was BELLOWING smoke. needless to say that computer was history.

I'll also add this one in so i don't double post, but the first time i installed a liquid cooling kit, i was freakin out. I had never done it before and i didn't pressure test it like i should have. Started up fine, then i had to move the computer, i CRAWLED making sure to keep it upright and scared as **** there was a leak. after about 6 hours of closely watching the tower, i finally came to the conclusion that everything was alright.

3 days later, i find out the liquid is non-conductive...

needless to say i was hitting my head against the desk.

well just yesterday i was playing the new demo for quake wars and my pc suddenly slowed right down, i was thinking wtf so i quit and when i did i saw nothing unusual then a couple of hours later i restarted my pc and it had a popup by the time saying i had spyware and to download spystorm and the background had changed to writing telling me that my pc had been hacked and information was being stolen. my responce was to press ctrl alt del to find the spyware program and close it but when it did it said it had been blocked by the administrator :eek:. anyway after downloading anti syware program such as spybot and ad aware (they had no effect whatsoever) i reinsrtalled windows. afer waiting an hour for that i was pretty annoyed then when i was installing video drivers the screen went black, i was shitting myself lol, went to normal after a few seonds.

for a hardware one when i was building my first pc (i was about twelve) i took it into the store i got the parts from to have the guy look at it incase i had done something wrong, turns out id put too much thermal paste on the heatsink and it had shorted out the resistors/capacitors on the top. i just about cried until he told me we could easily fix it with some isoprobic alohol ;)

once, I accidentally unplugged the molex cable from an IDE hard drive while the computer was running (I think I was trying to install a fan or something - which you can actually do while the computer is running)
the computer just froze.

When I turned it back on, it turned out the hard drive worked fine.

when i unplugged my SATA HD (accidnently as my SATA power cable is on a molex converter if you see what i mean) there was this really annoying wire going accross my computer so i opened up my case unplugged what i thought was the fan, jiggled it around a bit went back to my computer and couldnt work out why it was frozen :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom