intel or AMD

Status
Not open for further replies.
is ocing realy nessacry? doesn't bring down the life expectancy of the chip? if i over clock what is everything that i'm going to need and how much will it cost? also help me out with what i have left

I personally am not a fan of overclocking.

I stick with cooling that is quiet but effective, overclocking can cause major stability problems if you don't get it right.

I would go for the Athlon XP 3200+ 400 fsb, also I would buy Corsair 2x 256MB TwinX DDR400 (dual channel if possible).

compy said:
is ocing realy nessacry? doesn't bring down the life expectancy of the chip? if i over clock what is everything that i'm going to need and how much will it cost? also help me out with what i have left

Overclocking is optional, however. The 2500+ is enough to play pretty much any games without overclocking it. Getting a 3200+ is a waste (as i made that mistake too). You can use the extra money and save that up for a Athlon-64 socket 939 when prices drop.

"Yeah, but the 2500+ is 50% cheaper and can easily be overclocked to a 3200+ with no problems, remember?"

Amd's are never "easily" overclocked, especially for someone thats new to oc'ing, has stock fans and that might or might not have the incentive to do so or not..

The 2500+ is still a good cpu, but the 80+ mhz fsb and +400mhz clockspeed will make this cpu last alot longer, and the good thing is, no matter how much you oc your 2500+, you will always be able to OC the 3200+ higher (obviously)

I would definitly reocmmend the 3200+

just make sure to buy something other then the stock heatsink/fan

xxdryicexx said:
"Yeah, but the 2500+ is 50% cheaper and can easily be overclocked to a 3200+ with no problems, remember?"

Amd's are never "easily" overclocked, especially for someone thats new to oc'ing, has stock fans and that might or might not have the incentive to do so or not..

The 2500+ is still a good cpu, but the 80+ mhz fsb and +400mhz clockspeed will make this cpu last alot longer, and the good thing is, no matter how much you oc your 2500+, you will always be able to OC the 3200+ higher (obviously)

I would definitly reocmmend the 3200+

just make sure to buy something other then the stock heatsink/fan

He could go for the 3200+, however. Like i said, he could go with the 2500+ which can play pretty much anything with optimal performance and save some money to buy a Athlon-64 s939 when prices drop in the future. It's his choice to choose whatever he feels comfortable with, since me and you can't decide the same thing for him. Remember, 64-bit is the future.:cool:

that it is..

thing is thogh, 64 bit applications wont start coming out till atleast another 1 1/2 years..

yeah i think that's what i want to do, the 2800+ seems the best for a mid level gaming comp. also it has the 400 fsb wich is better. what P4 is the 2800+ the same as? what kind of mobo should i get with the 2800+? oh yeah, what's with all of the socket numbers for in AMD cpu's? why doesn't intel have them? what differnce does it make between the diff socets?

the AMD2800 doesn't come with 400 fsb...

compy said:
yeah i think that's what i want to do, the 2800+ seems the best for a mid level gaming comp. also it has the 400 fsb wich is better. what P4 is the 2800+ the same as? what kind of mobo should i get with the 2800+? oh yeah, what's with all of the socket numbers for in AMD cpu's? why doesn't intel have them? what differnce does it make between the diff socets?

the AMD2800 doesn't come with 400 fsb...

A 2800+ and 9800 Pro, would make a great gaming PC;) OCing isn't neccsary and can really screw things up if you don't know what your doin:confused: I know how to do it, but don't:rolleyes: :p

As for RAM, I'd keep it simple and go for either 2x 256mb of either DDR333 or DDR400, either will do;)

Dunno, about a mobo though, because its been awhile since I have had a Athlon XP:confused: :)

hey thanks for the help man, keep it coming guys! i need more input!!!! thanks for putin up with my questions, you guys are realy helping me out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom